• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No Rewind or Fast Foward

Calcapt737

New Member
My Kyrocera D 810 tape deck, along with the rest of my system, had been idle for about 11 years. Tonight was the first time I tested the deck and found that it still plays beautifully. However when I went to rewind the tape it would not rewind or fast forward. It sounds like it doing it, and the tape does move just a little but then it stops moving and a couple of seconds later the motor stops. This is the scenario in FF or RW. I tried several different taps with the same results. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello Calcapt737,

Sorry for the lingo, but 'cha-cha' idler refers to an idler wheel that slides either to the Take up reel table (for Fast Forward) or to the supply reel table (for Rewind). It does a little 'cha-cha' going back and forth between those reel tables. I used to work for a store that was a Kyocera dealer, but honestly, we didn't sell to many as we carried Nakamichi, Tandberg, Yamaha, Aiwa and others. I suspect that is a two motor machine, with one motor for the capstans and one motor, mated to a 'cha-cha' idler for the fast wind and take up functions. Usually, the cassette 'window' come off the machine. try opening the cassette door and see if you can pull up on the window to remove it. Gently please. There is probably some kind of plate fastened to the mechanism that covers the reel tables. ...usually held in place with a couple of screws. Maybe you can take the plate out as is, but more often the mecahnism has to be removed to get access. Behind that plate is where you should see the 'cha-cha' idler wheel. It's probably glazed slick and slipping, ...not being able to engage the motor pulley and the reel table. I might clean it with alcohol, but you really want some rubber rejuvenator on there. Also, make sure the rubber idler wheel is in-tact. Sometimes, they rot and fall apart. Maybe try taking off the cover and look straight down on the mechanism and see if you can get access from the top. It's not as thorough but might be enough to get you going.
 
My Teac deck is doing the same thing. Those rubber wheels harden over time and when they do, all grip is lost. You may have to replace the idler wheel (if parts are even available) or have it resurfaced. There is a gentleman on this forum that provides this service and here is his link:

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

Good luck.
 
Jon, thank you very much for your time. I will take a very close look at it. Unfortunately I have lost the owners manual for it, but I do have Stereo Review's 1987 review of the deck. It says...

"The D810's transport uses THREE motors. The first is direct-coupled to the pulling capstan (the other capstan, the holdback capstan is belt-coupled). A second motor drives the two wheel hubs, and a third is used to operate the tape-gate and pinch-roller mechanisms."

Does this change your opinion of what the problem might be. Sorry, I know nothing about the workings of tape decks. After reading the review, I'm thinking that maybe the belt is slipping? I don't know. Thanks for your help.
 
Hi Calcapt737,

No, I think the description of the 'cha-cha' idler being present still holds. The second motor driving the two reel tables (wheel hubs) is the one you want to investigate. It's operation might be visible looking down from the top of the mechanism. I'm hoping the idler wheel/tire just needs a cleaning to restore grip. the thing about these rubber drives: they seem to stay in better condition if used regularly. Mecanical stuff, in general, stays lubricated and in condition if used regularly, or at least intermittently. Good luck. If you get stuck, post some pics of what you see. Myself, or others are glad to help.
 
Same Problem

My Denon DR-M24MX was doing the same thing only in play mode. Turns out the Cha-Cha is used to tension the tape and takeup spool during play. I had to use rubber rejuvinator on its little cha-cha and it works perfectly now. I also used alcohol to clean it first.
 
My Denon is doing something similar. FF works fine, but when the FR button is pressed, it just clicks and stops. As of yet, I haven't figured out what may be causing the problem.
 
My Denon DR-M24MX was doing the same thing only in play mode. Turns out the Cha-Cha is used to tension the tape and takeup spool during play. I had to use rubber rejuvinator on its little cha-cha and it works perfectly now. I also used alcohol to clean it first.

What did you use as a rubber rejuvenatory?

Thanks for your help.
 
What did you use as a rubber rejuvenatory?

Thanks for your help.

A product called Non-Slip made by GC electronics. It goes on as hot as airbrush thinner and dries almost instantly. After several coats the surface is like new with alot of traction. And it lasts as it is part of the rubber. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom