• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No sound after replacing rca on Pioneer pl-12d

CptTomato

New Member
Hey everybody, I need your wisdom for my situation here. Let me know if this is the right place to post this.

So after trying to replace some new rca cables because the ones it had were bad, there is no sound from both channels. I did continuity test on the cables from tip of rca to the soldered connections, and then from the soldered connections to the headshell terminals What i got was that in all the path, each cable was beeping to its own respective side and ground. For example, when one probe was touching white cable from cartridge, and the other probe was connected to the white soldered connection, there was a beep of continuity. However, that same white cable from cartridge would beep when connected to its ground soldered connection, that is the blue soldered connection. My question is, what can I do to fix it? Is a tonearm rewire necessary? Would it be worth it? I am not going to attempt this again since I screwed up (one tonearm wire is shorter since I accidentally burnt it with the solder gun) the turntable, so I'm going to send it to a shop. Let me know what you think thanks! I am attaching pictures of the solder i did
 

Attachments

  • Solder1.jpg
    Solder1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Solder2.jpg
    Solder2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I would look very closely at the wires as they come out of the insulation. The braid (ground) on one side looks a bit loose so maybe a stray wire is touching the wrong place and in the other pic it also looks like maybe there is a bridge from the white tonearm lead to the ground terminal in the centre.

Also, are you doing the continuity test with a headshell and cartridge installed? If so, remove them and test again.
 
I would look very closely at the wires as they come out of the insulation. The braid (ground) on one side looks a bit loose so maybe a stray wire is touching the wrong place and in the other pic it also looks like maybe there is a bridge from the white tonearm lead to the ground terminal in the centre.

Also, are you doing the continuity test with a headshell and cartridge installed? If so, remove them and test again.
Today I opened the turntable and by accident the gree tonearm wire broke from the soldered connection, and now it is too short to solder it back. Guess my only solution is to rewire the tonearm right? Any advice on this? I am not an expert at soldering. I did the continuity test without headshell and cartridge installed, and got those results. Thanks for the help
 
That's too bad. Maybe you can enlist a friend who can solder better. I looked at your pictures and yes you could use some practice. :)

If it's only a touch short maybe you can reposition that terminal strip closer to the tonearm by rotating it or even bending it. You might even be able to splice it, but this will likely take more finesse than you currently possess (sorry). Very fine wires can be found inside computer mouse or USB cables.
 
Back
Top Bottom