• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No sound coming out of turntable

bmdurham

New Member
Hey guys/ girls,

I have this old cabinate I'd like to get working. The problem I have is the turntable doesn't produce any sound. The radio side works fine.

The turntable seems to work properly. It spins and the arm comes out and down onto the vinyl automatically. I've changed the cartridge to a brand new one but still no sound.

Any ideas where to start? It may be something simple but I have no experience with vinyl or turntables.
 

Attachments

  • 20201012_100856.jpg
    20201012_100856.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201012_100852.jpg
    20201012_100852.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201012_100848.jpg
    20201012_100848.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 34
Register to hide this ad
very likely it's just the controls are in need of a good cleaning, try operating the selector buttons repeatedly and see if that helps.

If not I would start with cleaning the controls before jumping to the conclusion the phono stage is shot.
 
The contact strips on the cartridge carrier and the corresponding contact strips on the underside of the tonearm head usually need a good cleaning.

A few days ago, I managed to get a Dual 1015 working properly. The cartridge carrier's contact strips were not too badly oxidized but those on the tonearm's underside were black as could be.
 
The contact strips on the cartridge carrier and the corresponding contact strips on the underside of the tonearm head usually need a good cleaning.

A few days ago, I managed to get a Dual 1015 working properly. The cartridge carrier's contact strips were not too badly oxidized but those on the tonearm's underside were black as could be.

Good advice. The 1000 series headshell can loose one or both channels. I have a 1010S with that headshell. I use a product called Nixon to clean off the corrosion. It’s a polish. Also check the contacts on the headshell. The metal to plastic on the headshell loosens with age. I use a dab of epoxy glue on the center of the contacts. Let sit for 24 hrs. Then I SLIGHTLY bend the contact out allowing better contact. If the headshell is really crappy I replace them. New ones are available from Best on Eprey. I recommend removing from the cabinet and clean out the old grease and replace it. While there, remove ,disassemble, clean the motor. Once cleaned and lubed Duals last a long time without issues.

Eric
 
Back
Top Bottom