• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No sound from PL-518 after replacing power supply board

tableturner

New Member
My table stopped spinning mid-record a while back, and after a great odyssey which ended with me buying a new power supply board and resoldering everything I've finally gotten it all back in to working order and plugged it in—only now there's no audio, only a hum through the speakers. Everything else appears to be working in order.

I tested each of the pins on the board I soldered and all seemed to have the correct voltage. However, I don't think anybody could look at it and say it was a beautiful solder job.. so should I redo it?

What else could be going on?

Note: The hum changes frequency when I touch a metal piece on the table, like the speed adjust.

What do you all think?
 
Register to hide this ad
I think the ground wire isn't working and you say you replaced the PS board. Did you do something to the tonearm wires? Were they on the board, too?

To get sound you need L + & - to get from the cartridge all the way to the phono input on the amp. Same with the right channel. To get rid of hum the ground wire needs to connect to the proper places in the turntable and then to the amp ground. Maybe you missed, bumped, broke or damage some of those connections. Does the table have a mute circuit on it?
 
Hey thanks so much for replying, I went in one last time to make sure there wasn't anything I've missed, as I've been doing various things to try to fix it over the last month.

Turns out I had disconnected the tonearm wires (together in a plastic pin-style plug) at one point and never reconnected them. The way I was positioning everything to work on it since had hidden that fact.

So, stupid mistake on my part but thankfully no further issues. Thanks though, I really appreciate it! I'm gonna figure out how to delete this thread..
 
No reason to delete the thread there is someone else that has had the same problem and will be happy to read it in the future. There are about 50,000 other akers that have had a simple issue cause a problem and post a Help thread and get an answer and find a simple issue corrects the problem. If you were the first AK would have about half the members and a quarter of the posts that are here available to help others.

If you want to delete the thread, you can subscribe for a year, $25, and get that benefit along with the red banner I lost the other day when I expired. I'll re up soon enough I guess, but it keeps me out of barter town where all the buying and selling go on and saves me from buying more stuff.

We are just glad your turntable is back up and running properly.
 
Back
Top Bottom