• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

No sound Sony STR-DH520 to TV to PC

Deneroth

New Member
I have been searching on various forums for help with this issue for about a month... the speakers and receiver are all nearly new, and I have no other speakers to test the receiver on. I would really appreciate some help :)

I have a Sony STR-DH520 receiver. It has HDMI 1.4a, an optical out or two, etc.

I am trying to connect it to my PC OR to my TV so I can get sound for videos I play on my TV from my PC.

No matter how I connect the receiver, I am getting no audio out of it. I just have two speakers hooked up right now, but have 5 speakers (no sub) total for when I get a few shelves.

I have the TV connected to the PC via HDMI (which means no extra HDMI slot for the receiver on the PC.)
I tried connecting the receiver to the TV by HDMI and tried the same with the optical cable. I also tried connecting it to the PC via the optical cable.

Thanks for reading!
 
Register to hide this ad
this is what sony say ...http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...id=5fc4acd077c880ba4c1e1721781a3c77#/howtoTab
here is the manual ..http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...late_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

do you hear the protection relay click in a few seconds after switching on ?

I have looked at the sony info on it, and yes I hear a click or two when I switch it on.

Sony advice I have followed already:


Turn on the stereo receiver.
Try increasing the volume level on the stereo receiver.
Check to see if the sound on the stereo receiver has been muted.
If the stereo receiver has a headphone jack, make sure no headphones are connected.
Try a different audio setting on the stereo receiver.
Check the speaker wires to make sure they are connected securely to the stereo receiver.
Try connecting different speakers to the stereo receiver. (can't do this sadly since no spare speakers but my buddy used them recently at his place and they worked.)
 
did you go through the manual ?
some of these things just need the correct settings . i had fun with a similar one of my daughters .
i cant remember what i did now .
 
did you go through the manual ?
some of these things just need the correct settings . i had fun with a similar one of my daughters .
i cant remember what i did now .

Reading through it a second time now. Just want some sweet sweet sound :(

Shouldn't matter which spots in the back the speakers are plugged into, right? They're plugged into surround left and right.
 
not sure how speakers should be wired . i know there will be various settings for switching speakers on and off .plus there will be a mute all .
do as the manual says and it will hopefully work ok .
 
Back
Top Bottom