• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nominations for the Worst Designed Audio Components

I have the Marantz 240, and it's a 125 Watts per Channel Oscillator. Melted the Mylar on my Maggies when it went into meltdown. I really need to rebuild or sell as is. Help Me I'm Richard and I'm A Hoarder of Audio Equipment.
 
I have the Marantz 240, and it's a 125 Watts per Channel Oscillator. Melted the Mylar on my Maggies when it went into meltdown. I really need to rebuild or sell as is. Help Me I'm Richard and I'm A Hoarder of Audio Equipment.
Ya, those old Marantz amps always need to he restored. Using them without restoring them is just adding a ticking time bomb to your system.
I restored a bunch of early 70's Marantz gear. I never used the power amps in my system without doing a full restore. The model 14's through the 240's at leased run on the ragged edge anyway. That being said, the 240 is a nice amplifier once restored. The 250 with meters is basically the same as the 240, but with meters and a couple tweeks to the circuit. If I remember right, they use the same output transistors, and both the 240 and 250 have very close to the same output.
 
Motorola MJ4502, and M802 I believe were the originals. You can't really be sure WHAT is usable anymore with all the Fakes out there.
 
Prolly get flamed for this but oh well.


Any amp that was not fused. You know basically any Phase linear or SAE. Now I ain't saying they sounded poorly just that how the hell do you design an amp with no fuse.
Grumpy gets the prize. I knew Phase Linear would be at the top of the line. LOL That's a shame though, because I loved my 700B! That drove my best ever system. But, he is right..they should have had speaker protection. Fairly easy to have one modified with that now though. (Now that mine is gone, of course!)
 
RE: Shanling

the shanling looks like its marketed to the 13-19 yo crowd of PS2 gamers. screw the fancy lights and purple glow, leave it for lowered pickups, and just give good simply designed products. e.g., function over form. that was a good one about the backing away from the bong, but i already did that years ago. i think if i was still "pulling tubes" i might find the shanling "reeeaaaallllly cooooooool duuuuude." cough cough cough "that thing is rad!" :banana:
Chinesium piece of crap
 
Shun Mook Mpingo disks, Bedini Clarifiers, Synergistic Research Vibratrons, and all similar audio/religious bullshit designed by marketing people to extract as much $ as possible from gullible, high income audio nutz.
 
Back
Top Bottom