• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Non Sequitur Songs

"A few of the above, e.g., Cowsills' "The Rain, The Park and Other Things", do not qualify as a non sequitur: the issues addressed in the lyrics follow logically and derive meaning from the title. Baba O'Reilly, Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 -- those are non sequitur fodder."

I'm using the term non sequitur somewhat loosely, as I wasn't able to fit "Songs That Have Titles That Don't Seem To Match Or Are Unrelated To Or Are Not Mentioned Word For Word In The Lyrics" in the thread title box...

One more I thought of:

Young Turks - Rod Stewart
 
I have a "Best of" Blur CD where they also sequence "Song 2" as the second track. Wouldn't make sense to place it elsewhere. Kind of like "Number Three" by They Might Be Giants.

New Order did this quite a bit. I think they named the songs before the lyrics were written. IIRC, none of the songs on the Technique album had the song title in the lyric. "Bizarre Love Triangle" is another example.
 
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes---CSN&Y
Over the Hills and Far Away---Led Zeppelin
Pretzel Logic---Steely Dan
After the Gold Rush---Neil Young
The Weight---The Band
Chest Fever---The Band
The Ballad of a Thin Man---Dylan
(Seems like The Ballad of ______ titles are never contained in the lyrics.)
Happiest Days of our Lives---Pink Floyd
Life During Wartime---Talking Heads
 
Some of the ones mentioned are true non-sequiturs.

Some of them, though, DO relate, if you stop and think about them. Those titles are often descriptive; for example, if I go to a tavern called "The Cavern Bar" and write a song about people and events that I find there, then "The Cavern Bar" is a reasonable name for the song, even though it isn't named directly in the lyrics. The connection doesn't have to be "an equal sign", nor do the lyrics have to contain the title.

For example, "Sympathy for the Devil" is all about the devil; "Please allow me to introduce myself..." is the devil himself singing. The devil was the one who "made damned sure that Pilate washed his hands to seal his fate", etc... The song is --for its day-- rather sympathetic in tone towards the devil, and might be seen as a plea for sympathy for the devil, being made by the devil. It isn't such an obscure or non-sequitur title, IMO.

I suspect that many others had meaning for the authors. Perhaps "The 59th Street Bridge Song" was written on or near that bridge, or was inspired by a person or event witnessed at or near that bridge. It's a sad song about a guy down on his luck, so perhaps it was about someone who wanted to jump off the bridge to commit suicide? This is all speculation; we cannot know, but there are possible, plausible links. On the surface, it seems non-sequitur, though. I assume that most such titles have a relevance, even if it isn't known to us.

Then there are the truly bizarre and non-sequitur titles. Maybe these are given just to make us curious, to make the "artists" seem more artsy, or maybe they just didn't think of a good title, and randomly slapped on the first thing that popped into their heads. Who knows? Those titles truly belong on this list.

I've run across some that struck me at the time, but the few I could think of have already been listed in this thread. I suppose going through my music collection would come up with more, but I'm too lazy to do that, and can't think of any others.
 
Some of the ones mentioned are true non-sequiturs. Some of them, though, DO relate, if you stop and think about them.

Arkay: In applying a similar nuance of definition, the OP responded with the following:

I'm using the term non sequitur somewhat loosely, as I wasn't able to fit "Songs That Have Titles That Don't Seem To Match Or Are Unrelated To Or Are Not Mentioned Word For Word In The Lyrics" in the thread title box...

Right.
 
Good Riddance- Green Day. Only if you go by the original song name not "time of your life"
1878- The Dear Hunter
Auf Achse-Franz Ferdinand
Let's Not **** Ourselves-Bright Eyes
-Spawn of 313guy
 
has anyone mentioned Pink Floyd's Several Species of Small Furry Animals GatheredTogether in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict?

At one level, it isn't a non sequitur as the song indubitably features the aural evocation of just that... but the titular verbiage does not AFAIK appear in the song -- unless, of course, it is rendered in Pictish.
 
"What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes. I always thought this song was called what's going on, because that is what she sang.
 
Back
Top Bottom