• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Norman Lab circuit breaker replacements?

From start to finish on both speakers, it took about 45 minutes. Man, why didn't I do this sooner? It was an afternoon of musical enjoyment....like they were finally unleashed.

45 minutes + refinishing both speakers = a major headache for me. :arrow:
I think the breaker is all I'm going to do. Ugly, mis matched, beautiful sounding speakers. :music:


Steve
 
Ok, Steve....did you bypass the breakers yet? Good Lord these things sound so much better with them bypassed! I'm not sure I want to spend $40+ on new breakers, either. Unless we all do a group buy or something. Ha :D
 
Ok, Steve....did you bypass the breakers yet? Good Lord these things sound so much better with them bypassed! I'm not sure I want to spend $40+ on new breakers, either. Unless we all do a group buy or something. Ha :D

I just need a cooler, less windy stretch of weather. Then we have the fire up in Los Alamos........

I'm with you on the breaker price. They will be bypassed.


Steve
 
Just do 'em in the house...that's what I did. lol. But I know what you mean...central AR temps have been high 90's for a awhile now and it's too darn hot to do anything outside. Guess some of those cheapie fuse holders could be used and start out with low fuses and go up from there.
 
I'm tellin' ya man... I fixed my problem with Deoxit and have had no problem at all in months. See my post on page 1. I didn't have to open them up at all.
 
I'm tellin' ya man... I fixed my problem with Deoxit and have had no problem at all in months. See my post on page 1. I didn't have to open them up at all.

beans, I bathed the sh*t out of them. I worked the breaker until I had a dent in my finger.


Steve
 
Did mine the same way....Deoxit worked short term and then the problem came right back. I don't need them there anyway. Breakers were installed on most speakers at that point to help prevent RA and warranty claims for blown drivers.
 
NL Model 8 CB Bypass

avguytx - would you mind posting a picture of how you bypassed the CBs?
Also what would the replacement capacitors be? Perhaps that is more of an individual speaker questions since they might have used different ones over the years. I have no clue... Thanks!
 
avguytx - would you mind posting a picture of how you bypassed the CBs?
I have no clue... Thanks!

I forgot how I did it, but I think the breaker is on the bottom.

avguytx can prolly tell you what needs to be done. I think he helped me.


attachment.php



Steve
 
avguytx - would you mind posting a picture of how you bypassed the CBs?
Also what would the replacement capacitors be? Perhaps that is more of an individual speaker questions since they might have used different ones over the years. I have no clue... Thanks!

Basically, you have two posts on the circuit breaker itself. All you have to do is remove the connection from one post and add it to the other....and it's officially bypassed. You could also remove both connections and solder them together, too.

Capacitor wise, there are lots of good economical choices out there to work with and everyone will have their opinion on them. Me personally, I use Solen caps for pretty much everything and have for about 25 years. There are higher end caps and there are cheaper caps; these are just nice happy average with very good performance and are used by lots of companies. I don't know the exact cap values that are in the Model 8's but they should be similar to the 9's. Take out the woofer and you should have easy access to the caps which are most likely those black caps with the red ends (which suck). Oh, and if you go with Solen, order them from Madisound as they have move values and are cheaper than Parts Express (which I avoid at all costs).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom