• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NOS Mullard EL34 XF2's vs. Anything else?

Audioexcels

Active Member
Looking in the EL34 range of tubes. I have a quad of Mullard EL34 XF2's, but they can fetch some money so I have not placed them in my amps just yet. But, if someone/two can convince me to, I certainly will do so. Thing I love about NOS tubes is that they can last so much longer than new types of tubes, so it's basically like getting to use tubes for free in many cases (i.e. Take a NOS EI KT90 and one could use it 10 years and still find it tests NOS and sell it for more than they paid!). Only concern is if one is blown somehow and one only has a quad sitting around:)

What's a list of EL34's that are as good or better than the Mullards?

Thanks all!
 
Register to hide this ad
Those tubes are meant to be enjoyed. I have a nice quad as well, and they are superior to all other quads of new or old stock I have tried. The only tubes that came close to the Mullards were fat bottle sylvania's and german made RFT tubes. I say you should use them!
 
Those tubes are meant to be enjoyed. I have a nice quad as well, and they are superior to all other quads of new or old stock I have tried. The only tubes that came close to the Mullards were fat bottle sylvania's and german made RFT tubes. I say you should use them!

Is there a consensus on which Mullard XF sounds the best (i.e. XF1/2/3/4?)

Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it and I have a very revealing sound so anything I put in my amp makes a drastic sound difference.
 
Last edited:
I'm listening to a quad of xf2 in my Heathkit AA-121 right now... big, rich sound. My reserves are a quad of near new brown base 1961 Holland Bugle Boys, which are easily as nice sounding as the Mullards, maybe even a bit better.

Plug those suckers in.
 
I really enjoy the Westinghouse tubes I have. They were NOS that were made in Japan probably in the 70's. They put the Winged C that I have to shame.

-R
 
Probably not many

New
Old
Stock

Mullards left out there, but there a good many used ones. ;-) I have some vintage used XF2's that came with an ST70 but haven't tried them yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom