• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Not a GREAT Day, but not a BAD day

Toasted Almond

RIP 1952-2016
Hit my local non-military thrift shop this A.M., and got to a pair of Pioneer CS-66's at the same time as another customer. He offers the thrift shop $20. They ask me if I will up the ante. OF COURSE I will! The other fellow leaves dejectedly. Now I have to ante up. What is a fellow to do? Offer to buy the CS-66's AND the H-K 230A receiver AND the H-K 20 speakers ALSO for $25. Somedays I can hardly stand my tactics. Today was not one of those days. Joyce the manager walked in as I was about to fork over my $25. She wouldn't have any of it. Final price.................$20. Everything works like a charm. I like the H-K's better than the CS-66's. Cute little receiver too. Pictures at 11.

How does this happen? Do you guys "shmooze" your local thrift shop managers? This is critical. You have to kiss them RIGHT ON THE LIPS! It's a damn war out there, and all's fair in love and hi-fi war. About 3 yrs ago, I picked up a digital sampler at a yard sale for $10. It worked. I needed that thing like Andy William's needs another sweater. Put that thing to work I did. Took it to my local thrift shop, and DONATED it. Told Joyce the manager to put a $125 tag on it, and let somebody talk her down to $100. Worked like a charm that ploy. She sold it for $100 and I became a god. They hold stuff in the back for me. After I pick through stuff, THEN it goes out to the G.P. It is also not a bad idea to throw the workers a $5 bill every now and then. You'll get it back in spades. The reason I had to hassle for the CS-66's today, is because the other guy was right there as they were being brought in. Nobody even got a chance to hide them in the back for me.

Your kids gonna outgrow the bike? DONATE it.

George
 
Register to hide this ad
I like your style TA :)

It's a competitive world out there and the rewards go to the smartest and fastest amoung us. Sounds like you are the ALPHA hunter in your area :p:

I'm more lucky then crafty in my hunts and only dicker on price at pawn shops cause they price their stuff that way.

Now as far as kissing a thrift store manager on the lips :rolleyes:
Well if the manager is a she and it's a Sansui TU-X1 marked for $30, maybe :D

Lefty
 
Why, Toasted A, y'all're one smooth ol' houn' dog!! Good huntin'!

On a more serious note, y'all got yer nose in the air 'bout what may be coming down the pike?
I'm hoping it isn't something that'll make your work day 24 hours ...

pete
 
Well I have visited my local goodwill and SA many times and I have never ever seen anything of value for audio gear, I believe the good stuff is snagged by employees in the back room and never sees the sale floor.
 
Very nice score - I like those pioneer speakers.

I like your style - if you donate stuff you become the store's best friend - and as the old saying goes - one hand washes the other...

Chris
 
TA, great strategy! I have created a circuit of 4 goodwills in my home and work area that I tour through at least every 2-3 days. The ones near home I go to more often, and have begun striking up a relationship with a couple of the folks that work there. I have told them of my interests, given them my name and number, and they have at least told me that they will try to set aside stuff for when I come in. I can't say for sure as to what comes out when I am not around, but the last time I was there I know that I saw my buddy there sitting some stuff out, talked with him for a few minutes, and then a bit later out he comes with a pair of Bose 601s. Guess who's their daddy now?

Its the simple stuff. Being friendly. Making conversation. Talking about their job, what they have seen, the good old days. Letting them know that this isn't a business for you, but a passion - a reliving of my youth in my case. Bring in stuff to donate as well as taking stuff out (and leaving $ behind:D ). These are the things that bring people together, and makes all the difference in getting a better chance. How bad do you want it?

Ah...the thrill of the hunt continues!

Cheers,

PBG
 
A manboy's got to do, what a manboy's got to do!

If someone gets to the stuff first, well..................... BREAK THEIR KNEES IN THE PARKING LOT, TAKE THE STUFF, AND LEAVE AT THE SPEED OF HEAT!!

Toasted Almond
 
Back
Top Bottom