• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NOT JBL L65's But They Are......

dc270

Now Off the Reservation
Another bit of speaker trivia from "what are they?" dept.

They look to be decent JBL L65 knock offs for their day, with thick smoked glass tops, inexpensive Alnico drivers and sub par xovers put together from the factory with black tape etc. The Harmon Group later bought them out..... thank god!

The name was a discussion here a while back....THAT should narrow it down!

They will be projects for me later down the way, L65's wanna be's....
DC
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Zilch must be asleep at the switch! Ya I guess a e-horn on top of that glass would give it some "curb" apeal.....HA
DC
 
Zilch must be asleep at the switch! Ya I guess a e-horn on top of that glass would give it some "curb" apeal.....HA
DC
The grille certainly suggests where to put the you-know-what for an integral package.

In a PE box on top would certainly look cool and resolve the "plays to your knees" issue, but you'll want to invert them for that, most likely.

Incidentally, I've ordered the 0.5 cuft PE cabs, 'cause the waveguide corners interfere with using the stock grilles in the 0.38 cuft ones, per Russell's pics. That may also be true with the extra 0.5" the 0.5 cuft versions provide, but it looks like it will be manageable.... :yes:
 
Nope- it is an obscure maker. I think they were out of Colorado if I recall correctly.
DC
 
....... The Harmon Group later bought them out..... thank god!

I'm note sure why the Harman group buying anybody out was a good thing:scratch2:...but JBL and Infinity come to mind:banana:.
 
kbl??

I was offered something very similar to this speaker one time. There was no label on the box but it has similar driver components, down to the slot tweeter. The guy kept insisting that they are the L65 and wanted L65 money for them. Wouldn't let me take out the drivers to inspect them though, so I left.
 
The Harmon Group could have only made these better jusging from the driver compliment and the taped up xovers in each box. They were bought new by this elderly couple I got them from, with the heavily glued on grills still in place.
DC.
 
OK looks like I stumped the stars here-
These are "HSL Model 20's"
Better luck next time!
DC
 
The HSL's were definately no L65's! the only things they had in common was a walnut wood veneer cabinet and a glass top. Now when I get through rebuilding them they will be another variation yet!
DC
 
Back
Top Bottom