• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Not sure if I'm buying the right caps for my Kenwood KR 5200

pkj

New Member
So I recently bought a Kenwood KR-5200 receiver, it works and sounds great, but after opening it I saw several bad caps which had the following written on it "4700J, WV 50, NOBLE".

I went ahead and took a look at service manual and the only caps rated at 50 WV were 4700uF so I went online to search for 4700uF 50V caps but they are all huge. Smallest I could find were 18mm by 35mm, which is huge compared to the ones that are inside my Kenwood which are like 8mm by 16mm.

I can't help but wonder, did I misunderstand the labelling on the caps or are 4700uF caps just that big? Besides, if the latter is true, it would be quite an awkward fit in the already cramped PCB.

Photos of the service manual and caps:
https://imgur.com/a/0JxWJ
https://imgur.com/a/2ILuA
https://imgur.com/a/DV2UB
dlWkw

305mj

0JxWJ
 
Register to hide this ad
The Noble caps are 4700 picofarad polystyrene caps and are not electrolytic caps nor are they 4700 microfarad. There's no visual evidence of anything being wrong with them. Leave them alone.
 
The Noble caps are 4700 picofarad polystyrene caps and are not electrolytic caps nor are they 4700 microfarad. There's no visual evidence of anything being wrong with them. Leave them alone.
Ah I see, thanks! It's just that they look like they are bulging out of their plastic covers, and polystyrene caps weren't mentioned in the service manual...I wonder what else I may have missed.
 
Ah I see, thanks! ...I wonder what else I may have missed.
You stopped with the chassis mounted components on page 21 of the SM. Look over that list, add up the total number of caps and then look at the unit, can not be all of them. Scan the SM further and you find the Schematic of the X004- board, the Parts list and the Image of the board on pages 37, 38 and 39.

As you learn this recapping hobby, spend time listening and enjoying if the unit works. Save the soldering iron for when you need to fix something. Soon you will have the background to do the recap party but it isn't always necessary.
 
The other guys have given some great info in regards to your polystyrene caps and SM. Just wanted to say you have a fine receiver there :thumbsup:, l used to own one and l think they sound really nice plus you have to love the beautiful walnut veneer cabinet.
 
Back
Top Bottom