• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nothing But The Absolute Best...

The best I've heard in the last ten years was a Focal Utopia/ Boulder demo system with all the top support components, ca $100k worth. Before this early/mid 1980s, it would have been the Dayton Wright XG-8 electrostatic / Counterpoint SA-4 DC coupled OTL amp system at Julian Scharfman's house in Atlanta.
 
All of these systems have one thing in common. All owners have no back problems. If I had any of these systems, I would never be able to use them because I could not bend down to turn them on or adjust the knobs or menus. :idea:
 
There is no such thing as the absolute best in audio. Sorta like trying to say who is the best guitarist, the baddest guy in town, who makes the best french fries.
But I get your point about really expensive, over-engineered gear for the people with the means to chase perfection (which also does not exist)
absolutely love your guitarist reference.
Cause there is no "best" on guitar.

Some drool worthy stuff here, Dan.
I'm always amazed by some of those German speakers that look like Faberge eggs for drivers.
 
All of these systems have one thing in common. All owners have no back problems. If I had any of these systems, I would never be able to use them because I could not bend down to turn them on or adjust the knobs or menus. :idea:
Not to mention lifting or moving the stuff.
 
It is enlightening to go and listen to systems of this caliber in person. I'd advise as many of you as possible to attempt to do so. Take familiar software. Trust your ears.
 
It is enlightening to go and listen to systems of this caliber in person. I'd advise as many of you as possible to attempt to do so. Take familiar software. Trust your ears.

That is the best advice in the thread. One of the problems at AK is 95% of the posters have never had a chance to hear such a system. If they did, they might say it's too expensive for them, but they wouldn't say it's an illusion and their vintage thrift-store system sounds nearly as good.
 
That is the best advice in the thread. One of the problems at AK is 95% of the posters have never had a chance to hear such a system. If they did, they might say it's too expensive for them, but they wouldn't say it's an illusion and their vintage thrift-store system sounds nearly as good.

Truth.

- Woody
 
There are a few cafes in Tokyo that play music on nice systems and where the patrons are not allowed to talk - you order in whispers. I went to a jazz version in Shinjuku years ago and stumbled into one last year with a friend in Shibuya. The Shibuya place only played classical music and didn't even have booze - I asked for a beer and they gave me an egg cream. I think they're great. There's one more on my list, too: http://www.martha-records.com/martha/index.html

What a great idea here.....


Newly Open Jazz cafe "Cortez" Audio system designed by KENRICK SOUND

​
 
There are a few cafes in Tokyo that play music on nice systems and where the patrons are not allowed to talk - you order in whispers. I went to a jazz version in Shinjuku years ago and stumbled into one last year with a friend in Shibuya. The Shibuya place only played classical music and didn't even have booze - I asked for a beer and they gave me an egg cream. I think they're great. There's one more on my list, too: http://www.martha-records.com/martha/index.html
As you probably well know, Japanese Jazz cafes have been around for years, much more so in the 60's but coming back into popularity.
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20121203-tokyos-jazz-kissa-survive
 
Back
Top Bottom