• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

NS-1000M Speakers

cjmustang69

Well-Known Member
Drove 9 hours round trip today to pick these speakers up. I have wanted a pair of NS-1000M speakers for sometime and really like the wood veneer the former owner put on this pair. I just returned home and hooked them up to the M2 amp I recently purchased from Brutal. Looking forward to playing with their positioning and listening to them for a few hours tomorrow.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG1821.jpg
    CIMG1821.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 206
  • CIMG1820.jpg
    CIMG1820.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 105
Register to hide this ad
I have only hooked them up to make certain they all work properly - I won't be able to really listen to them until tomorrow - but I have high expectations for them!! My other speakers are:

ADS 1230
ADS 980
Infinity Kappa 9
JBL 4333
Kef 104/2
Klipsch RF63
 
:scratch2: They have the wrong woofers for NS-1000M's.They look like NS-1000 woofers.No difference in the sound, just don't have the screen mesh covering them. Refinished cabinets look nice.
woofer part numbers...
JA3058 ----NS-1000
JA3058A----NS-1000M
 
Last edited:
That is correct - woofers are from NS-1000 speakers. Also, the capacitors for woofers/tweeters were replaced. The former owner has refurbished several pairs of NS-1000M over the years and also has some experience building his own speakers over the past 10 years.
 
I think these might have been discussed in a different thread... can't recall where exactly though. The refurb job looks/sounds familliar...
They look great in the picture, just as good in person?
The 1000 is on my list... I'd like to get the ebony version to match my receiver though. No funds this year, but someday.
Enjoy!
 
4seatPilot - I honestly believe they look better in person than in photos. I've been listening to them for about the last hour driven by the Yamaha M2 amp through an AR tube preamp. The first qualities I notice is very smooth midrange and detailed highs. In particular - male vocals sounded very natural. I have a couple of Diana Krall CDs which I plan to listen to tomorrow - I suspect female vocals will sound very nice.
 
4seatPilot - I honestly believe they look better in person than in photos. I've been listening to them for about the last hour driven by the Yamaha M2 amp through an AR tube preamp. The first qualities I notice is very smooth midrange and detailed highs. In particular - male vocals sounded very natural. I have a couple of Diana Krall CDs which I plan to listen to tomorrow - I suspect female vocals will sound very nice.

Nora Jones' "Come Away With Me" is usually in the CDP I have on the bench, so every piece of gear that's been through here has had her as a reference. She's a little smokey, but the Piano on many of the tracks, and the string bass are also helpful in listening tests.

While they all get some exercise on a pair of JBL L7 just to make sure they have the stones do drive the big boys, there's a tiny little pair of Control LA - 1's essentially - up on the bench for near field auditioning.

Even with the slight Tinnitus, I can hear the difference between Class-A and A/B on most of the gear, and can tell the difference between a good piece and a great piece. That M-2 is a great piece that should pair well with the NS-1000 and I hope you get the most enjoyment possible from it.
 
cjmustang _ i have some of teh ADS you own as well.
I wil be curious to hear your thougths of the NS-1000 vs. the 1230 (i used to own the 1530).
 
I saw the listing for those. These are very beautifully re veneered and modded. I'll bet they sound fantastic connected to an M-2. :tresbon:

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Vint Age - yes that is the pair I purchased. The seller is from Columbus, Ohio and I live in Chapel Hill, NC. I really liked the veneer used for these and also felt comfortable with the seller - after speaking on phone about the speakers. I could have had the speakers shipped - but didn't want to risk damage. Therefore, long road trip to meet seller in WV yesterday. The M2 amp I purchased from Brutal is in amazing condition - and first impressions are it sounds great with the NS-1000M speakers. I plan to listen to this combination for the next several weeks. I also have the Sony TAN8550 amp I'm anxious to try with them.

Sancho22 - I likely won't be able to do a good comparison to the 1230s as they are used in my Master Bedroom on first floor. My 2 channel systems are upstairs in my Bonus Room. At some point - I will hook up the 980s and be able to compare to the NS-1000M speakers
 

Attachments

  • ADS980 Drivers.jpg
    ADS980 Drivers.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 51
  • ADS980 Tops and Grills.jpg
    ADS980 Tops and Grills.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 30
Vint Age - yes that is the pair I purchased. The seller is from Columbus, Ohio and I live in Chapel Hill, NC. I really liked the veneer used for these and also felt comfortable with the seller - after speaking on phone about the speakers. I could have had the speakers shipped - but didn't want to risk damage. Therefore, long road trip to meet seller in WV yesterday. The M2 amp I purchased from Brutal is in amazing condition - and first impressions are it sounds great with the NS-1000M speakers. I plan to listen to this combination for the next several weeks.

Way more WAF than my black ones.:thmbsp:

I also have the Sony TAN8550 amp I'm anxious to try with them.


V-FETS an Beryllium work really well together. :yes: :D

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
That's the listing I saw too... Was it in BT? I considered them as my wife will be in Ohio in a couple Weeks, but my funds are exhausted for now.
Enjoy!
 
Beautiful in the veneer. Congrats!
Enjoy,
Jim
 
I know it is a PITA to move those as well as the NS-1000 - both HEAVY.

I also have a pair of 980 (and 1290) so a comparison to the 980 would be very helpful too (my NS-1000 awaits a new tweeter).
 
Don't worry about the woofer screen. I couldn't hear any difference and my hearing is durn good. And you can brush away dust easier... :yes:

That set sure looks fine! Maybe a set of NL Advents wouldn't allow you to distinguish so much between your M-2 and the Sony but you've got a distinguished stable...let us know how you like those Be drivers...:scratch2:

.
 
Before purchasing these speakers, I had noted the woofers didn't have screens. I then did a little research and confirmed the woofers for NS-1000m and NS-1000 speakers are the same - with exception of screens. Therefore, I felt comfortable with the speakers. I listened to the speakers for several hours yesterday. The first characteristic I noticed is the "clarity" of the midranges. The clarity is impressive. I had read about lack of bass from these speakers. While the bass is perhaps not "big" sounding - the bass sounded "tight" and not at all bloated. Overall, I like what I hear so far.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom