• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Numark USB Turntable Converts LP's to WAV,MP3

Starrider1

Active Member
I bought a Numark USB turntable that connects to my laptop computer and converts my LP's and Cassettes to wav or mp3 files. It came with audacity software and I had a copy of Spin It Again already. I am just starting to convert some of my thousands of records and so far, it works really well. The software automatically removes the pops and other noise from the recording. It also has eq to change the sound quality. Now I can convert most of my collection to cd or wav so I can take it with me to work or wherever. Anyway I know others have this already, but I just wanted to post this to see what everyone has to say about converting your records. Thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
i can't offer any opinion on the actual machine, but here my take on the concept....i think vinyl was meant to stay on vinyl and have no interest in converting any of mine, but it's an interesting idea and might even bring you back to playing vinyl more.

the only vinyl i have ripped to cd are some pearl pam Christmas singles, a few the who boots and some white stripes stuff that was never released in any other format.

i think the vinyl to cd turntables are a nice introduction back to vinyl for the new generation and hopefully helps some older folks play transfer some stuff to a more accessible media and perhaps sucks them back into the love of it.
 
I might take a look at the "automatic"nature of the tick/pop/surface-noise elimination circuit. If turned up too far, it attacks percussion.

How good is the arm on the Numark? I know that some of the analog-to-USB machines -- e.g. the Ion -- use very cheap tonearms and budget cartridges. From your photo, the arm looks a good deal more sophisticated that the Ion arm.

Also, the cartridge you're using looks like the one that uses the Sanyo/Fisher ST-09D stylus. That's a fairly low-budget item. You might consider upgrading. Everything you do with the signal is no better than the quality of the audio the stylus and cartridge extract from the grooves.

Fred
 
Hmmm, I saw this at turn table at Best Buy and was tempted to buy it, how ever I'll stick with my Music Hall and my Fisher CD recorder to convert my lps to disc...I still like to hear the clicks and pops as long as they aren't annoying I don't mind
 
How good is the arm on the Numark? I know that some of the analog-to-USB machines -- e.g. the Ion -- use very cheap tonearms and budget cartridges. From your photo, the arm looks a good deal more sophisticated that the Ion arm.

The Numark and Ion decks are basically the same and made by the same people AFAIK, with just the badging and final features different.
 
In your case, starrider, I wonder why you didn't just use you PL-540 and run your tape outs into the "line in" on your computer.

You could've sunk the money you spent on the USB turntable into a better soundcard and, between your better turntable and the better ADC on a decent soundcard, made much better recordings of your vinyl. Comparable software is available for little or no cost.

I understand how they sell these USB turntables to people who don't already have a way to play vinyl, but it mystifies me why people in your position would choose one. Is the simplicity worth it?
 
Starrider,

I'd definitely disable that automatic pop & click removal feature and use it sparingly and only when transferring P or G graded records. If you've got surface noise problems, good cleaning of the LPs would be in order. I would not be using EQ changes either, unless you're playing pre-RIAA discs that require a different curve.
 
i can't offer any opinion on the actual machine, but here my take on the concept....i think vinyl was meant to stay on vinyl and have no interest in converting any of mine, but it's an interesting idea and might even bring you back to playing vinyl more.

There's a cost factor that helps drive me. Vinyl is perhaps $0.50-$2.00 each where CDs are maybe $8 to $15. Either way, I can make high quality digital rips. And there's no way I'm going to rebuy what I already have (i.e., iTunes at $0.99 per mp3) just so I can use an iPod.

That said, it is true that it has brought me back to playing vinyl more. I spend more time with the headphones on and the turntable spinning. Learning and loving I guess.

For what it's worth, I heard that those Numarks weren't so great. So I bought a better vintage turntable and I pipe it through a DAT deck and then into a digital audio card. I have no personal experience with the Numarks.

_pmc
 
i can't offer any opinion on the actual machine, but here my take on the concept....i think vinyl was meant to stay on vinyl and have no interest in converting any of mine, but it's an interesting idea and might even bring you back to playing vinyl more.

the only vinyl i have ripped to cd are some pearl pam Christmas singles, a few the who boots and some white stripes stuff that was never released in any other format.

i think the vinyl to cd turntables are a nice introduction back to vinyl for the new generation and hopefully helps some older folks play transfer some stuff to a more accessible media and perhaps sucks them back into the love of it.

I was thinking the same thing. I was kinda wondering how this affects the SQ...also, I was wondering on the SQ of the player itself placing an impact of the aquired sound from the wax....hmm...

I think this is a double edged sword. Vinyl is definitly going to be making a comeback, especially now that I'm seeing these in places like Hot Topic and other cliche stores. Bad side is, vinyls prices are going to go up :tears:
 
The Audio Technica AT-LP2D is based on their AT-PL50 stereo turntable and comes complete with built-in switchable phono preamp for USB connectivity, runs at 33 or 45, and comes with an Integral Dual Magnet phono cartridge. The retail bundle also includes Cakewalk PYRO software. Mac or PC and I've seen them for under $120.
 
I own the Ion version and it does what it claims. It is not high/audiophile quality but it plays well and has fairly good sound. When using audacity I do not use the click removal on entire songs or sides. It takes time but I go through and remove each individual click/pop. It seems to have a less detrimental effect on the sound quality. I even sometimes just listen on this table but I am more interested in the music than the gear.
 
i can't offer any opinion on the actual machine, but here my take on the concept....i think vinyl was meant to stay on vinyl and have no interest in converting any of mine, but it's an interesting idea and might even bring you back to playing vinyl more.

In my 100% analog days I frequently copied LPs onto cassettes so I could listen to them on the go (car, walkman, take them to parties where I wouldn't want someone spewing on my vinyl, etc.); compromises in audio quality were inevitable, but accepted for the sake of portability, and in most cases was lost in car speakers or portable headphones. If the ultimate destination is MP3 or some other compressed format, the results will probably be good enough for their intended use. But I don't think I'd try listening to them on a good quality sound system.
 
NOT manufactured by Matsushita. Can't comment on the quality, but I'm guessing the $200 price difference probably isn't due to gouging on the Technics.

Is the AT-PL120 okay for non-DJs? Can anyone compare it to the SL-1200? Sorry if getting a bit off topic...
 
I am pretty new to AK, but this thread does touch on a question I have had about getting vinyl digitized, largely for preservation of my albums and overall increased accessability. Are there other ways to go about it or is the use of one of the turntables already mentioned a must? Vinyl's overall durability is a drawback compared to having it digitized and many of my albums aren't to be found on services such as Rhapsody or itunes (yuck!)
 
I am pretty new to AK, but this thread does touch on a question I have had about getting vinyl digitized, largely for preservation of my albums and overall increased accessability. Are there other ways to go about it or is the use of one of the turntables already mentioned a must? Vinyl's overall durability is a drawback compared to having it digitized and many of my albums aren't to be found on services such as Rhapsody or itunes (yuck!)

Actually, vinyl is about as durable as it gets. CDs deteriorate with time. Vinyl stays fine with time..just bad handling that deteriorates it.

I would not do a USB TT. The ones that I have seen are really pretty cheap - not good turntables, phono amps or ADCs. You can digitize with you a TT, phono amp and then some method to go from analog to digital. Your computer may or may not have a decent soundcard or you may purchase a good separate analog to digital converter. Hagerman makes the Ripper which includes a phono amp and USB output ADC. There are many choices. I'm eyeing the new Benchmark ADC-1...but that's at the pricey end of the rainbow. A lot of software equalization and pop/click removing will also remove most of what makes analog so special. It's up to you what you want to do.
 
I am still trying to figure out the comment about CD's deteriorating. I have heard this comment before. It's ridiculous. I have many early CD's, and they are far from deteriorating. So in 25 Years they have performed fine, and in five years they will turn into salad dressing? Just like vinyl, there are certain CD pressings that are better than others.
 
CDs can deteriorate. I have some CDs I bought in the mid 80s that are just like new but also some have deteriorated and are unplayable. I don't mean they are scratched but that myriad holes have developed in the aluminum substrate and they range from having a song-or-two that is unlistenable to having the entire CD ruined. I have seen some CDs in which the substrate is almost entirely gone.

I think it depends upon the manufacturer and the initial quality of the aluminum substrate. Remember that this stuff is very thin - maybe a couple microns - and a poor seal or too many inpurites can cause oxidation or deterioration of said materials.
 
CDs can deteriorate. I have some CDs I bought in the mid 80s that are just like new but also some have deteriorated and are unplayable. I don't mean they are scratched but that myriad holes have developed in the aluminum substrate and they range from having a song-or-two that is unlistenable to having the entire CD ruined. I have seen some CDs in which the substrate is almost entirely gone.

I think it depends upon the manufacturer and the initial quality of the aluminum substrate. Remember that this stuff is very thin - maybe a couple microns - and a poor seal or too many inpurites can cause oxidation or deterioration of said materials.

It's funny. There is not one CD I own from the early 80's that suffers from this problem. I don't have one that suffers from this at all. The problem is dump your mid 80's I can't read the CD CDP. Then you might be okay.
By the way danj we share the same birthday. Lot of Febuary people. But I never run into any born on the 9th.
 
Back
Top Bottom