• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Obsolete Features on Audio Equipment

zebra03

All Audio - NO BS
I have a Technics SL-PS840 CD player that has a tape function . You press a button and you can tell the CD player what length cassette you are recording to and the CD player will figure out how many songs will fit on each side of the cassette .

I have not used it in years . Anybody else have such obsolete features ?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Realistic receiver that I bought new in 1978 with Quatravox. Never really used that feature.
 
Tone knobs and Loudness button.

The last time I had gear that had these were at least 10 years ago and the last time I used them were maybe 20 years ago. I know there are many that still use them but for me, it's an obsolete feature that does more harm than good.

From my experience over the years, the better your system is, the better most of your music collection sounds without having to fiddle with EQ matters for every album you play.
 
Subsonic and rumble filters.

There's no reason for them to be on gear made after tape ceased to be a relevant medium. Nor is it a relevant medium for all but a very few.
 
I had not deduced that. I've never seen it on newer two channel gear.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Rumble filters are quite useful-warped records, springy floors, and unstable mounting points can cause rumble which robs you of amplifier power, interferes with the rest of the sound. I leave my 25hz filter engaged at all time.

Useless feature? Tone controls. Mine are in defeat at all times.
 
Sounds like there is a classification for "obsolete" things that may have been useful at the time of manufacture, but are no longer needed.
 
I have a Sony receiver stored that have a TV tuner built in. Here, and I believe it's in most countries now that air signal is Digital since several years.
 
The "Reverse Stereo" setting on my old Crown C-150A Pre-amp was a fairly cool feature that is now very obsolete.
 

Attachments

  • crown1c150a-E.jpg
    crown1c150a-E.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 41
How about tape head inputs. When was the last time a tape machine was even made that didn't have it's own preamp built in?

phase reverse switches. These invert phase on one speaker only to compensate for inverted phase on AM/FM simulcast broadcasts.
 
How about tape head inputs. When was the last time a tape machine was even made that didn't have it's own preamp built in?

phase reverse switches. These invert phase on one speaker only to compensate for inverted phase on AM/FM simulcast broadcasts.

Haven't encountered channel phase disparity in a recording or FM broadcast. I was just getting interested in this when the experimental simulcast stereo broadcasts were being done and unaware of many of the technicalities then.
 
Tone controls and loudness may not be your cup of tea, but many don't have the proper synergy in their system to do without them. Subsonic filters - I need them.
 
Back
Top Bottom