• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Obsolete TO-92 Transistors: BC550C/BC560

Leestereo

Super Member
The BC550C (NPN) is listed as obsolete on Digi-Key but is still currently available at Mouser (but on back order). Its complement, BC560C (PNP) is also considered obsolete and even more difficult to find. Does anyone know of a reputable source for genuine BC550C/BC560C transistors in small quantities? Rochester Electronics has BC560C in stock but minimum order is 3235!
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, that's strange, I can't find the BC550 or the BC560C - or both - in any of the main distributors either. Radiospares has BC560C's, if you don't mind buying 50 of them (https://www.rs-particuliers.com/Product.aspx?Product=5452484). If you don't need a voltage higher than 30V, the BC549/559 are available everywhere - or the BC547/557 if you need 45V and don't mind the higher noise.

Digikey now resells Rochester stock on some obsolete parts. BC550 is one of them: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/fairchild-semiconductor/BC550/11544689
 
I was looking for a few obsolete 2SC945's (26) but had to by the 280 pc lot from Rochester via Digikey but they were only .18 a piece so it didnt set me back more than 12 bucks. IIRC Rocheter wont ship outside USA and you have to tell them what its for if your not using a company letterhead.
 
The BC550C (NPN) is listed as obsolete on Digi-Key but is still currently available at Mouser (but on back order). Its complement, BC560C (PNP) is also considered obsolete and even more difficult to find. Does anyone know of a reputable source for genuine BC550C/BC560C transistors in small quantities? Rochester Electronics has BC560C in stock but minimum order is 3235!

This is what I was able to find. They look reputable and seem to have been around quite awhile; I'm a novice though.

Well Gain Electronics
https://wellgainelectronics.com/346-transistors
LaVerne, CA
Philips bc550c $1.00
$25. min. ?
Use search, then scroll down past tweets

HB Electronics
http://www.hbelects.com/product-4800/BC550
Monterey Park, CA
BC550 $1.99

Donberg - Ireland
https://www.donberg.ie/catalogue/semiconductors/semiconductors_b-bc/bc_560c.html
BC560C $3.57
€30. min.
https://www.donberg.ie/descript/b/bc_550.htm
BC550 €1.08
€30. min.
 
I was looking for a few obsolete 2SC945's (26) but had to by the 280 pc lot from Rochester via Digikey but they were only .18 a piece so it didnt set me back more than 12 bucks. IIRC Rocheter wont ship outside USA and you have to tell them what its for if your not using a company letterhead.
"Have to tell them what its for" ???

Probably they do not want "small customers"
 
Last edited:
"Have to tell them what its for" ???

Probably they do not want "small customers"

Thats exactly why. When you're selling surplus/obsolete parts at a dime per part, you'll lose money on every customer that wants just a handful of those parts.

RocElec most likely bought about 10,000 or more of those transistors for a couple cents each when the manufacturer was shutting down fabrication, so they've been storing them in hopes of finding someone who'll buy most of the lot for a quick profit. If they have to pay someone to grab 10 pieces at a time for small customers, the handling alone will wreck their bottom line. So, buy their minimum. Transistors don't go bad sitting on a shelf for a few years, so if you buy several hundred you'll have a steady supply for your projects when everyone else in the world is scrambling because they can't find the proper part. Thats what I did when the minimums were at 100 pieces. Now I have these parts and the minimum orders are going up.
 
I think they are a DOD supplier so you have to tell them what its for for compliance reasons..(no laser rangefinders for export to Syria...?). I work at a phone company so I told them they are to repair old telephone switch gear cards. If anyone needs a few, .30 a piece! Just don't buy me out.....
 
Yeah. I haven't the equipment to really identify if they are genuine coming from Tayda, or not.
I read on diyaudio that someone got counterfeit ones there, but the poser didn't explain how he identified such.
The thing that irks me is the price - it's a fraction of what mouser/digikey was charging, and I find that odd.
 
I've had good luck buying from Tayda in the past, but it's been a few years. One thing to keep in mind is that they are not an authorized distributor for any vendor that I'm aware of. I believe that they are legit, but that doesn't mean that they can't get taken and end up with counterfeits. Hell, I've gotten fakes from Consolidated once, and I know Steve is on the up and up.
 
I bought some "Fairchild" BC550/BC560 from a UK dealer on the 'bay and they were not genuine. The BC550CTA is still available at one of the two big distributors, but 560 appear to be gone.

I went with the ONsemi BC546 and BC556 versions, which are otherwise identical except for their higher maximum voltage.
 
I went with the ONsemi BC546 and BC556 versions, which are otherwise identical except for their higher maximum voltage.

You might know things that I don't know, but according to the spec sheets, the higher-voltage parts have looser specs for noise figure.
 
Back
Top Bottom