• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ofajen's home office system

ofajen

Daddy-O-Daddy-O-Baby
Here is my home office system. I put it together last fall after completing a remodel that allowed me to use this space.

Here's a shot showing the desk area, including the sitting and standing work areas.

file-3.jpg


Here's a view of roughly how things look while I'm seated. The satellites are original NHT SuperZeroes.

file-4.jpg


Mostly, I listen to Pandora, and these days I'm using my old iPod...

file-2.jpg


It doesn't have a working audio jack, so I send the output to this Logitech Bluetooth receiver...

file-1.jpg


The other source is my old Onkyo T-4090 tuner:

file.jpg


Here's my DIY switcher/volume control. The white marks are handy reference points, with the black pointer line pointing up (12 o'clock) at 0 dB. -10 dB is about 100 degrees CCW (about 8 o'clock) and -20 dB is about 200 degrees CCW (about 5 o'clock.) -30 dB is about 3 'clock.

file-7.jpg


Down below are the Hafler power amp and NHT sub amp. I run the Hafler output to the NHT amp and use the speaker level inputs and the HPF output to the SuperZeroes.

file-5.jpg


The NHT sub amp output drives this sealed, passive subwoofer made from a Realistic Nova 6 cabinet with a new Peerless 8" sub driver.

file-6.jpg


All in all, a delightful sounding rig and most of the big stuff is tucked out of the way and out of sight. It sounds great at just about any volume, great sound stage, good low end, plays loud enough to heard anywhere on this side of the house and, with the possible exception of the tuner, doesn't look like too much stuff on the desktop.

OK, I got a request from someone here who wants to see some banana guys, so here goes... :banana::banana::banana:


Cheers,

Otto
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
nice setup..I have a Realistic Solo..something of that nature that has a bad tweeter, and I had the idea of creating a subwoofer with that..but then I was like..I need a new tweeter/midrange for it :\
 
nice setup..I have a Realistic Solo..something of that nature that has a bad tweeter, and I had the idea of creating a subwoofer with that..but then I was like..I need a new tweeter/midrange for it :\

Funny, that was how I reconnected with AK this summer. I didn't end up liking the Nova 6s. They have Foster cone tweeters added by the previous owner, not the original tweeters. I was looking for a crossover schematic and perhaps experiences in options for other tweeters that might sound more natural and my search returned several AK threads first.

What I ended up needing was the much smaller SuperZeroes on the desktop, and then I decided on adding a sub and using the Peerless 830667 driver. Then it just seemed that it was meant for the subs to go into the Nova 6s, so that I could put them to use and skip a cabinet build.

Cheers,

Otto
 
I too am listening to NHT super 1s nearfield - sounds nice and transparent on top, with soft loaded spring on the woofer, which makes it pleasant.

I don't hae a sub, since the 1s go lower than zeros...

Some say the NHT's are the most affordable real hifi speakers - I tend to agree.

Enjoy your well thought out system... I am sure it sound's sweet.

Oh and I like your chair too - my father had exact same one in his office - brings me back memories - I am gonna have to give him a call today...
 
I too am listening to NHT super 1s nearfield - sounds nice and transparent on top, with soft loaded spring on the woofer, which makes it pleasant.

I don't hae a sub, since the 1s go lower than zeros...

Some say the NHT's are the most affordable real hifi speakers - I tend to agree.

Enjoy your well thought out system... I am sure it sound's sweet.

Oh and I like your chair too - my father had exact same one in his office - brings me back memories - I am gonna have to give him a call today...

I thought about SuperOnes, but decided they were bigger than I wanted on the desktop. With my current desk, I need to have it in the corner where it is, which means the speakers need to be on the desktop.

At some point, I may switch to a sit/stand desk that is just a rectangle, without a wing. That could be centered in the room (yes, I'm thinking about improving the symmetry of the audio) and spaced far enough from the window wall to leave room for speaker stands and speakers the size of SuperOnes. In fact, such a desk is the only "audio upgrade" I'm considering in the coming years.

The chair is a Balans Variable. I had a bigger, fancier Balans Duo for about 20 years, but it eventually became unrepairable, at least for me. I picked up the Variable second-hand this summer once I was working more in this new space. Actually, I much prefer the Variable, because it is much smaller and more nimble. Easier to sit on and stand up from without the back, and for working the back is not needed.

I'm about as meticulous about ergonomics as I am about audio. I have all the working and viewing heights optimized for comfort and posture. The kneeling chair helps maintain proper posture and spinal curvature and I also try to work while standing for a little bit if I'm in the office all day. I just have to move the laptop, mouse and keyboard up to the standing table, so it only takes a few seconds to make the switch.

Cheers,

Otto
 
Last edited:
Very nice working space!

Rome

Thanks! The pictures don't do it justice. The white balance was set wrong on the first one and made things look green.

The outside wall I face is about 16 feet wide, with two 4 foot tall, 7 foot wide windows spanning almost the entire width. The ceiling follows the roofline up to a height of about twelve feet on the wall behind me. That wall has four big openings that let light come through the hallway beyond and the windows on the other side of the hallway. Even though I face north on the north side of our house, this time of year I actually get sunshine coming all the way through the house and landing on my laptop during part of the day! Those openings also help vent the bass wave into the rest of the house and reduce reflection back into the room.

Cheers,

Otto
 
Very nice!

I bet the DH-200 keeps your feet nice and warm during the winter :D

Yeah, my office is kinda the last stop on the ventilation supply runs, so it's not the warmest room in winter. The DH-200 (and NHT sub amp) add some welcome coziness right where I'm working, especially if I crank up the volume.

However, I have already begun to prepare for the option of a T-amp in summer, when that heat will not be so welcome (of course, for the same ventilation reason, it's one of the warmer rooms in summer.)

Cheers,

Otto
 
Quick update: now I'm powering the satellites directly from the Hafler, not thru the HPF on the NHT amp amp, and feeding the NHT speaker inputs in parallel from the Hafler output. That lets me roll off the sub at 80 Hz, rather than 110Hz, and takes the HPF out of the audio path to the satellites. Also sounds great, maybe a bit better detail and imaging.

Cheers,

Otto
 
Great setup, I'd love to have something like this in my office. That's if this promotion I've been hearing about for 1.5 years finally comes through as is rumored...if not well, there are other employers who want me...
 
Great setup. Where did you get those little speaker stands?

Oops! Sorry I missed this. I made the speaker stands out of 4x6 lumber. The bottom is cut square and the top angles up at about 15 degrees, which means I'm about at the equivalent of ear level when seated, without having to elevate the speakers another foot off the desktop. I used little bookshelf holding pins in back to keep the speakers from sliding back, and there are felt feet underneath.

Cheers,

Otto
 
Nice office system! If you wanted to try using some Blu-tack between the speakers and the stands, then again at the bottom of the stands, they would couple much more securely and give you better sound! Also, it would keep them from sliding around on your desk.

Cheers!
 
Nice office system! If you wanted to try using some Blu-tack between the speakers and the stands, then again at the bottom of the stands, they would couple much more securely and give you better sound! Also, it would keep them from sliding around on your desk.

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, the speakers don't slide around of their own volition, only when I move them, which has only been for subtle tweaks of positioning.

As far as whether "coupling" improves sound, there are some who think it does, but I am one who believes the primary purpose and benefit of the a speaker stand is the position and/or angle it provides, and that mechanical coupling of the cabinet to the supporting surface or lack thereof is, at most, a secondary issue.

Cheers,

Otto
 
Quick update: now I'm powering the satellites directly from the Hafler, not thru the HPF on the NHT amp amp, and feeding the NHT speaker inputs in parallel from the Hafler output. That lets me roll off the sub at 80 Hz, rather than 110Hz, and takes the HPF out of the audio path to the satellites. Also sounds great, maybe a bit better detail and imaging

One other little update while I'm at it: earlier this year I got a FiiO L11, so I am using the iPod's line output directly to the volume control and power amp, rather than relying on the Bluetooth receiver. That's working really well.

The Bluetooth is still around as well a second 1/8" TRS cable and corresponding input, so I have the option to connect the computer, an iPad or my radio, a RS DX-390, which takes up much less space than the Onkyo and sounds OK for as little as I use radio any more.

Cheers,

Otto
 
Hey ofajen, to-may-to, to-mah-to, whichever sounds best to you is what you should do! Suggestions are only that, suggestions. Try several if they are within your budget, ans stick with what you like. No pun intended with the Blu-tack and stick. Ha! Positioning is key to developing that sweet spot.
 
Back
Top Bottom