• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Official Grateful Dead Thread

Got a stack of 3 Dead books via Bartertown last week. The annotated Lyrics book is great - I recall reading some of the text in there online many years ago at the old Berkeley Grateful Dead site - so its on a prized place on my bookshelf. Thank you @Penn42!

I was reading the Phil Lesh book this week, Searching for the Sound, and he talked about a legendary show in NY with the Allman Brothers Band, and Fleetwood Mac (the earlier Peter Green/Danny Kirwan era). I did find a streaming-only version of the show on Archive.org with some big edits in it, managed to send it from my desktop Mac down to my main system and was listening to part of that yesterday, (I'll play some more when I get home this afternoon) but some of the comments mention SoundBoard recordings that were apparently there earlier and, I guess, have been since purged. I recall a great noise when some of the original recordings there went away years ago ...

So, what I was listening to was Grateful Dead Live at Fillmore East on 1970-02-11
https://archive.org/details/gd70-02-11.early-late.sbd.sacks.90.sbefail.shnf/gd70-2-11d2t4.shn
I'm interested in finding a more complete copy of that show, what I heard so far it sounds very interesting ...

DeadBooks_5229.jpg

I'll give the Kreutzmann book a read next week.
 
Last edited:
Looking through the Archives at Dead.Net, I found this show ...

Setlist​

  • Electric 1:
    China Cat> I Know You Rider
    Me & My Uncle
    Dire Wolf
    Smokestack*
    Acoustic:
    Monkey & Engineer
    Sadie
    Wake Up Little Susie*> Black Peter*
    Uncle John
    Katie Mae*
    Electric-2:
    Dark Star**> Cryptical**> Drums**> Other One**> Cryptical**> Lovelight**
    We Bid You Goodnight

    Apparently, thats Dick's Picks #4 - a 3 disc package with the Allmans, so I ordered a copy from an online bookstore and should have it next week!
 
Last edited:
Got a stack of 3 Dead books via Bartertown last week. The annotated Lyrics book is great - I recall reading some of the text in there online many years ago at the old Berkeley Grateful Dead site - so its on a prized place on my bookshelf. Thank you @Penn42!

I was reading the Phil Lesh book this week, Searching for the Sound, and he talked about a legendary show in NY with the Allman Brothers Band, and Fleetwood Mac (the earlier Peter Green/Danny Kirwan era). I did find a streaming-only version of the show on Archive.org with some big edits in it, managed to send it from my desktop Mac down to my main system and was listening to part of that yesterday, (I'll play some more when I get home this afternoon) but some of the comments mention SoundBoard recordings that were apparently there earlier and, I guess, have been since purged. I recall a great noise when some of the original recordings there went away years ago ...

So, what I was listening to was Grateful Dead Live at Fillmore East on 1970-02-11
https://archive.org/details/gd70-02-11.early-late.sbd.sacks.90.sbefail.shnf/gd70-2-11d2t4.shn
I'm interested in finding a more complete copy of that show, what I heard so far it sounds very interesting ...

View attachment 3230553

I'll give the Kreutzmann book a read next week.
2/11/70 was one of my first 3 Live/Dead tapes.
I got them from a brain surgery student with a massive Dead/ABB/Floyd bootleg collection.
We cranked them OTW to Meadowlands for my 1st Dead shows in 1988.

In comments at https://archive.org/details/gd1970-02-11.sbd.warner.patched.28292.sbeok.flac16

Reviewer: hgregs - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 13, 2008
Subject: to paraphrase phil....
Was reading “Searching for the Sound” and had to look up this show after Phil talked about it in almost 3 pages of his book… here are some notes I took while I was listening:
• Jerry says to Phil of the ABB on their way to this show: “make sure you check these guys out… they’re kinda like us… They jam hard”
• Phil was startled when he heard Duane’s slide during Dark Star… Jerry hadn’t told him anyone would sit in
• Gregg “slides onto the organ bench” during Spanish Jam
• “Peter Green from the Mac plugs in just as I’m pulling the music into the dominant minor … he and Duane seem more comfortable in this space.”
• Butch joins on drums
• Mickey attacks his gigantic gong
• Mick Fleetwood and Danny Kirwan “find room to join the festivities”
• “it’s a surprisingly coherent free-for-all, with five guitarists , four drummers, organ, and – Pigpen roaring over it all”
• “Gregg takes a verse … Sounding like a fifty-year-old black man even then.”
• Pig and Gregg trade vocals
• Berry Oakley takes over on bass about halfway through Lovelight as Phil just wants to listen
• There’s a smokestack theme running throughout
• “my mind starts to stretch out of shape… Everyone on stage is flat-out wailing”

After the show, “I walk outside – it’s daylight, and snow is falling gently on the streets of New York… I grab Bob and Jerry in a group embrace: This is what it’s all about.”

i just listened to other version of this show (with like 56 reviews), which was great, but the quality of this one seems just as good. there are patches for the some of the missing segments (if not simply a more complete version).
 
Last edited:
2/11/70 was one of my first 3 Live/Dead tapes.
I got them from a brain surgery student with a massive Dead/ABB/Floyd bootleg collection.
We cranked them OTW to Meadowlands for my 1st Dead shows in 1988.

In comments at https://archive.org/details/gd1970-02-11.sbd.warner.patched.28292.sbeok.flac16

Reviewer: hgregs - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - September 13, 2008
Subject: to paraphrase phil....
Was reading “Searching for the Sound” and had to look up this show after Phil talked about it in almost 3 pages of his book… here are some notes I took while I was listening:
• Jerry says to Phil of the ABB on their way to this show: “make sure you check these guys out… they’re kinda like us… They jam hard”
• Phil was startled when he heard Duane’s slide during Dark Star… Jerry hadn’t told him anyone would sit in
• Gregg “slides onto the organ bench” during Spanish Jam
• “Peter Green from the Mac plugs in just as I’m pulling the music into the dominant minor … he and Duane seem more comfortable in this space.”
• Butch joins on drums
• Mickey attacks his gigantic gong
• Mick Fleetwood and Danny Kirwan “find room to join the festivities”
• “it’s a surprisingly coherent free-for-all, with five guitarists , four drummers, organ, and – Pigpen roaring over it all”
• “Gregg takes a verse … Sounding like a fifty-year-old black man even then.”
• Pig and Gregg trade vocals
• Berry Oakley takes over on bass about halfway through Lovelight as Phil just wants to listen
• There’s a smokestack theme running throughout
• “my mind starts to stretch out of shape… Everyone on stage is flat-out wailing”

After the show, “I walk outside – it’s daylight, and snow is falling gently on the streets of New York… I grab Bob and Jerry in a group embrace: This is what it’s all about.”

i just listened to other version of this show (with like 56 reviews), which was great, but the quality of this one seems just as good. there are patches for the some of the missing segments (if not simply a more complete version).
Yeah, took me a few years to find a clean copy of what's called "The Longest Day" The Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead show I attended 6/10/73 at RFK stadium in DC ...
I'm not a huge deadhead - but I've collected all the albums and some really nice releases on CD over the years. Thanks for the help & info!
 
The 2004 Sacks version was in my collection.
Here's the Charlie Miller upgrade from 2020 with a thesis length/depth review in comments - "Donnaskreech™" LOL
The Truckin->TOO is exceptional


I got the Mars Hotel release yesterday. CD2 just finished, sounds great! Shoving CD3 right in.
448852148_3805366083027527_3506981319938135485_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
 
Last edited:
Yeah, took me a few years to find a clean copy of what's called "The Longest Day" The Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead show I attended 6/10/73 at RFK stadium in DC ...
I'm not a huge deadhead - but I've collected all the albums and some really nice releases on CD over the years. Thanks for the help & info!
6/10/73 at RFK is an official release now. A reasonably priced 4 CD set. Released May '23 according to Amazon.
 
The Kennedy Center has announced that the Grateful Dead will be among the honorees for the 2024 Kennedy Center Awards in December!

Three artists, a band and a building walk into the Kennedy Center.
Well, that’s probably not how it’ll happen. But in an unusual twist, storied Harlem theater the Apollo, New York’s gravitational center for Black arts which turns 90 this year, is among the 47th class of Kennedy Center honorees.

The honor “certainly wasn’t expected,” said the Apollo’s president and CEO, Michelle Ebanks. “Artists receive this award. But then the Apollo is an iconic stage for artists.”

The class announced by the arts center Thursday also includes some famous human names: renowned filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola; blues-rock star Bonnie Raitt; celebrated Cuban American trumpeter and composer Arturo Sandoval; and beloved band the Grateful Dead, whose living honorees are Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir.

The Dec. 8 ceremony will take place in the 2,364-seat Opera House, where celebrity guests, top secret until the night of, will celebrate the honorees from the stage. The center has not decided whether the evening will follow tradition and include a host (last year’s was previous honoree Gloria Estefan). The show will be broadcast on CBS and streamed on Paramount Plus on Dec. 23.

read more here:
 
Got a stack of 3 Dead books via Bartertown last week.

I was reading the Phil Lesh book this week, Searching for the Sound,

I remember reading an article about how when the boys were in England playing The Alexandria Palace (N. London), Phil, who at that time was road testing/practicing his composition Seastones, was cited by local authorities for, and I'm paraphrasing, "willful & malicious intent to damage infrastructure"

Evidently his powerful Bass tones piped through a less powerful version of "The Wall Of Sound" were causing sections of, The Ally Pally being the dilapidated, ancient old edifice it was/is, ceiling to crumble.

This was in 1974, the Bass guitar in question was known as "Mission Control"

To this day I can not find the article, I remember the article being legit and I wanna believe it was not a put on or an urban legend

Screen Shot 2024-07-18 at 2.07.30 PM.png
 
The Kennedy Center has announced that the Grateful Dead will be among the honorees for the 2024 Kennedy Center Awards in December!

The class announced by the arts center Thursday also includes some famous human names: renowned filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola; blues-rock star Bonnie Raitt; celebrated Cuban American trumpeter and composer Arturo Sandoval; and beloved band the Grateful Dead, whose living honorees are Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir.

For those who aren't aware Francis Ford Coppola approached the Boys about playing music for his new movie that he was working on, and they agreed.

The movie was Apocalypse Now, which I've never seen and heard is ok :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The album was The Apocalypse Now Sessions, which was primarily Mickey Hart & Bill Kreutzman aka The Rhythm Devils and Phil.

That's very cool they are both being honored in the same class,
 
and
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom