• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Official Grateful Dead Thread

I think there is a differance between an artist and a musician. I have little problem with say Leo Kottke or Jorm Kaukonen not playing new material. The same goes for the Dead.

On the other hand the lack of new inovative material from someone like a David Bowie or David Byrne leaves nothing but nostalga.

What differentiates the artist from the musician? Composing?
 
Grateful Dead Live at The Eureka Municipal Auditorium on January 20, 1968

Jam > Clementine > New Potato Caboose > Born Cross Eyed > Spanish Jam > Caution Jam > Dark Star

Streaming @ work now. Searing guitar.

The Grateful Dead, especially in the 80s and 90s, were - at least to me - partly about bringing the 60s in a really freaking cool day-glo time capsule to the banks of the Anacostia. Without Jerry, the remaining Dead entities are not entirely successful at conjuring up even my meta-memories of the 60s filtered through the 80s/90s shows.
 
Last edited:
Interesting that Hot Tuna came up... Saw them in December, and they played a new song that blew me and my friends away. It sounded just like it could have been included on America's Choice. Nice, heavy Tuna. I don't particularly like their new album, and I'm not sure if this song is on it, but this one song was a standout despite the whole show being terrific.
 
My stereo's playing Dick's Picks 22:

Grateful Dead @ King's Beach Bowl, Lake Tahoe on February 22 & 23, 1968

KingsBeach19680222.jpg
6122B150VBL._SS500_.jpg
 
Interesting that Hot Tuna came up... Saw them in December, and they played a new song that blew me and my friends away. It sounded just like it could have been included on America's Choice. Nice, heavy Tuna. I don't particularly like their new album, and I'm not sure if this song is on it, but this one song was a standout despite the whole show being terrific.

Maybe it was Walking the Tou Tou?

I have never heard them play it live, ever.

What date and where did you see them, Jorma has a page that he lists each show and each song played.
 
Cool thread idea..
I got one of these who is my trippin bud.. he sits on the dash of my truck trippin along everywhere I go..
sell-grateful-dead-bertha-bean-bear-bright-red-teddy-lqqk-cc.jpg

At another forum I belong to they pass a garden gnome around the country on road trips.

I visit wooden covered bridges and/or hike mountains esp. w/fire towers during the Spring & Summer.
I've been to over 125 WCBs in the past couple of years and peaked a buncha small mountains.

See here and here
I'll be bringing a dancing bear this year. In the car and in the backpack - Good idea :tresbon:

Here's my hiking buddy when I told her a cat-walks-into-a-bar joke

index.php
 

Attachments

  • Carmel-Breeze.JPG
    Carmel-Breeze.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Maybe it was Walking the Tou Tou?

I have never heard them play it live, ever.

What date and where did you see them, Jorma has a page that he lists each show and each song played.

It was the Friday night show at the Beacon Theater. Dec 9, 2011. Great show. GE Smith, Larry Campbell, Charlie Musselwhite. Hubert Sumlin had just passed away a few days before, and they had Hubert's guitar and amp sitting on stage as a tribute, left unplayed the whole evening.
 
At another forum I belong to they pass a garden gnome around the country on road trips.

I visit wooden covered bridges and/or hike mountains esp. w/fire towers during the Spring & Summer.
I've been to over 125 WCBs in the past couple of years and peaked a buncha small mountains.

See here and here
I'll be bringing a dancing bear this year. In the car and in the backpack - Good idea :tresbon:

Here's my hiking buddy when I told her a cat-walks-into-a-bar joke

attachment.php

We got a Purple Moose that came from a bar in Ocean City MD called The Purple Moose. We strap it to the back of the motorcycle when we take off for road trips..... Always gotta have a travel companion..
 
The original Phil Lesh & Friends circa 2002 did have an album of new material.
There and Back Again. Jimmy Herring, guitar, Warren Haynes, guitar/vocals, Rob Barraco, keyboards/vocals, John Molo, drums. And course Phil, the vocal master, on bass. Yes, I said that sarcastically.
 
The original Phil Lesh & Friends circa 2002 did have an album of new material.
There and Back Again. Jimmy Herring, guitar, Warren Haynes, guitar/vocals, Rob Barraco, keyboards/vocals, John Molo, drums. And course Phil, the vocal master, on bass. Yes, I said that sarcastically.

Was it good?
 
Former Atlantic Starr lead singers:

Here I Am – Sharon Bryant
Wing Records, 1989
R-944442-1290945774.jpeg


Barbara Weathers – Barbara Weathers
Reprise Records, 1990
R-603301-1137323725.jpeg
 
Oh yea, I know Patchwork Quilt. I have seen Warren do it solo and with the Mule. I will check it out. Thanks.

It's on Warrens "Live at Bonnaroo" also. I'm a Warren Haynes, Jimmy Herring fan. But I have no interest in seeing Widespread Panic live.
 
Lately, I have been really digging "Catfish John" and "Peggy-O" two extra tracks on the reissue (CD) of Terrapin Station.
 
Back
Top Bottom