• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Oh, no...not another CT-F1050 with a BBQ-ed Capstan motor thread.....

Ricktptman

High Fidelity Enthusiast
Subscriber
Yup. I picked it up on the bay because the ask was right and the system I got my sister with Thrift store finds in '93 or so is overdue for maintenance. (She wouldn't appreciate the upscale stuff. I have to keep her away from the Crosleys and High Fatality con jobs....) When I checked the belt kit prices for the deck I got her (Pioneer CT-F550) I decided to see if I could find something where the belt kit didn't exceed the cost of the deck. (It was close....)

So, it didn't need "just belts". But I did have some Mabuchis I'd squirreled away for a rainy day (but I'd really like to pick up a few-ish of these killer UCM's of Pacific Stereo's, are you still around? ) and the General business issues started to pile up. The Capstan motor (RXM-080) looked a little bit like the blown out side of the command module from Apollo 13. The old belt was wound up all around its pulley. (The FW motor's "strong", when it acts like it knows what it's being told "to do"...) The two leads (black/white) were melted TOGETHER and carbonized. But changing the motor brought it right up and it's been playing for the last six or seven hours. I downloaded the OM, and I have a SM on the way. It needed to have its azimuth tweaked a bit (unkind persons had already taken a run at it, never a good sign) and WJOE's Belt kit idler was almost too big for the idler pulley. (I had to do a little creative body work on the motor mount plate/rubber isolation grommets to keep the belt clear of the screws.) Record functions are up and running (sounds pretty good for a two head machine) and I'm on "the one yard line" until: IT DOESN'T act like it "knows" what it's doing in the FW modes. It goes in for a second and stops. The motor's running (until it times out) but maybe the idler isn't performing as it should. It might be that it's barely big enough (post retread) to fit between the two hubs. Play (both directions) is A-OK. It goes into the proper mode and then immediately back out again. (Tape travels a few counts, each in the proper direction.) The transport is stop on a dime tight, so it's NOT slippage. I get that it has this "early" music search PMS (Pioneer Music Search, but it's not what I've been thinking it stands for) feature, but I figured plain old FF and RW would be straight forward. I usually don't get thrown curve balls by Cassette decks, but either this one has issues or the OM lost me. So, does anybody have any similar experiences to this with their CT-F1050? It is reasonably clean, not abused (but not minty fresh either, someone's tried to work on it before me) and if anybody can send me in a particular direction regarding a likely culprit, IC or whatnot, I'd really appreciate any help.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom