• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Oh no, rubber cracking on KG4's!!

Polarbear

Super Member
I just got these a week ago and I noticed on the passives the rubber is starting to crack. It's cracking on the flat rubber part of the surrounds that is glued to the basket. Is there anything I can do to repair it? Is there anything I could've treated the rubber with to make it not crack (wd-40).

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Unfortunately they don't have them. If anyone else knows where these can be purchased from let me know.

Thanks
 
For a cheap temporary fix, paint rubber cement on the cracks to close them and you should be good for several years.
 
You can order by size. They don't specifically mention Klipsch, but you can probably get the right size.
 
I tried rubber cement but the cracks wont close and I don't see any rubber surrounds in that ebay store. Maybe I will email them.

Thanks
 
I recently repaired a split surround on one of the drivers on my KG 5.2's.

Used DAP Weldwood contact cement, along with small strips of tissue.
(I found this tip on some other forum so I figured I'd give it a shot).

I've had no troubles with this driver yet, but of course, each application can end up with different results.

Hope you can find a cheap fix!

NP - Page/Crowes - Live @ the Greek
 
No, they've been out of production for a couple of decades now so I doubt they would be of much help.

Pioneer still carries those stupid little speaker plugs that they haven't used for nearly 40 years. Can't hurt to ask.
 
You could try the stuff that they use to cover bare electrical wire and dip hand tools in. They sell it at home depot - it comes in a small can and it provides a rubber coating to insulate wire. It wipes on with a brush, dries quickly and stays flexible...depending on crack size this could work...
 
You could try the stuff that they use to cover bare electrical wire and dip hand tools in. They sell it at home depot - it comes in a small can and it provides a rubber coating to insulate wire. It wipes on with a brush, dries quickly and stays flexible...depending on crack size this could work...

I think it's called Plasti-dip or something like that.

I'd vote with calling Klipsch first. If they DO have the parts you can be assured of fixing it right. If they don't have the parts you've lost nothing other than a phone call to an 800 number.
 
Thanks for all the responses guys! I will try and contact Klipsch first and foremost to see if the correct part can be found. If not, I will continue trying to repair it. If all else fails I guess there's eBay.
 
I remember reading a post on another forum on using Armour All on the surrounds, I've done mine several times and they look like new. I have a pair of cheap 10"' car subs that I fixed the surrounds on using clear silicone, stil holding up.
 
Back
Top Bottom