• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

'Oh yeah, that's my parents' music'

Register to hide this ad
Yep! My parents' music was big band stuff, plus classical music, operas and operettas. I've always enjoyed that stuff, along with jazz, "world" music (before the term was coined or a separate genre existed for it) and even a little bit of country-western stuff, alongside all the classic rock hits of my own youth.

I don't think the biggest stereotype has been of children "hating" their parents' music. It's more the other way around: parents don't like their kids' music. In that sense, I'm a lot like my parents, in that my Dad never cared for most of the rock stuff that I enjoy, and I don't really like hip-hop/rap-crap that a lot of younger people today enjoy. There IS a lot of new music out there that I like, but to a large extent it's not the mainstream stuff.
 
My parents never listened to much music other than Glen Campbell and Boots Randolph, and some of those big boxed sets of easy listening music. Thank God my older sister listened to Frank Zappa back in '68.
 
I grew up listening to big bands & classical (which my mom loved) and C&W which was my Dad's favorite genre'. Now my kids still listen to some of the music they grew up with and are blown away when I dig out and play some Led Zeppelin that they haven't heard. LOL
 
I remember it all well... still love (e.g.) Alfred Alpaka's music; early-days AKer OMI kindly made me a dub of an Alfred Alpaka greatest hits album some years ago.
 
I love the two radio stations that my parents used to play all the time.

When I was a kid I did not think I would.

However when I got my first car tuning to those stations was almost.... natural.
 
I NEVER got to where I disliked my folks' music...I kinda didn't listen to it there for awhile when I was in my teens-thirties, quite as much as I did when I was a kid, but as I've gotten older, I've re-developed quite an appreciation for it.
 
Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, Roger Whiteaker, Glen Campbell and Charlie Pride, etc., were staples in our house. I always have loved those tunes.
 
One day when I was about 14 or 15, my dad came home with a Bob Dylan lp, 2 Janis Joplins and Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant. Its been downhill ever since. :music:
 
Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, Roger Whiteaker, Glen Campbell and Charlie Pride, etc., were staples in our house. I always have loved those tunes.

+1, It bored me to death...but now I appreciate the Country and Easy listening from that era.

But my Grandparents were Scottish and Welsh so I got to hear some kickass music from the 50s and 60s from the old country. Don't ever make fun of the Pipes, your health could be at risk....:D
 
Bread, Queen, Elton, Eagles, Chicago, Linda Ronstadt - very mainstream 70s rock in my house growing up. Always remember my Dad singing to them. Fond memories.
 
So thankful my parents were young in the '30s and '40s, not the '80s. :-)

I got lucky. I have memories of going to bed in the 80s and hearing things like John Lee Hooker, and Little Charlie & The Nightcats on the stereo downstairs. By the time I was 16 I was all in with blues.
Trying to explain to high school kids at the time why I listened to Robert Johnson was like talking to a rock. Trying to explain to my dad why I was also listening to A Tribe Called Quest Metallica was similar.:D

I try to give my kid a wide range of music. Her first live music experience was our blues festival. I took her down to the park where it happens for a couple of hours when when she was about 7 months old. The artists on the bill? David Gogo, and then the Nightcats. Funny to think that the seed for me picking that day to go down there was planted by me hearing them 20+ years before that day.
 
My parents had a split personality when it came to music.

Most of their records were Folk such as the Kingston Trio, New Christy Minstrels, etc. They did not follow Bob Dylan into electric. Their stuff used to annoy me, but after decades of listening to the Dead and the Byrds, I see it as an embryonic influence and can appreciate it.

When they played the radio, it was almost always Space Age Pop/Cocktail Music. Never disliked it and have grown to really like it.
 
My parents were late blooming hippies. We had the obligatory kombi and each Saturday and Sunday afternoon they'd sit down and listen to 60s and early 70s rock while sucking on their home brew while smoking their home grown MJ.

Their tastes varied a fair bit from Herb Albert up to Led Zep. I always remembered them dancing about, **** faced, to early Slade, Bowie and TRex.
 
Back
Top Bottom