• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ohm Walsh 3

DanCheet

Noobie forever
So I have a thread in dollars and sense, but this thread is no longer about value. I promised more pictures of the speakers, so here it goes. I sold my NHT set up and mirage omni-550 speakers, and I want to spend about 300 on a suitable integrated amplifier (right now powered by pioneer vsx07tx and a pioneer elite dv37) ...Any recommendations?

Also, I know the speakers aren't in optimal placement, but it's the best I can do for now. Cant wait to get them the wattage they deserve...let me know what you all think :thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,468
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Not sure but those look terrible ugly from my view point. Better pack 'em up and send 'em this way for disposal. :D

Haven't heard any 3s but if they are even close to resembling 4s you'll love them!
 
HA! I think they look good, either way the make a good conversation piece.

With these ohm speakers, is there anything I should be worried about. Some Do's and Dont's would be appreciated! I took both cans apart (very carefully) and made sure that the surrounds were in good shape. They are the model 3's so they have cloth surrounds. Would the caps in the cross overs need attention yet?

As far as I know, I bought these from the second owner who had them since 1991 with zero maintenance preformed, playing a maximum combined total of 1 hour a week....just for reference. I am also picking up an Audio Research DAC1-20 which should help with the sound...
 
brief video

Tomorrow I pick up a NAD 2700 amp to make these speakers sing :banana::banana:. I'll let you know what I think, but here is a video of the speakers in action.

Note: Taken on an iPhone so the sound quality and video are very poor. Will take a better, more in depth, video when the new amp is hooked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu2SxCtnDFA
 
So after a quite a few hours of listening, it's looking like I'm set for a while. The NAD 2700 really added to the experience with these speakers. Even at low volume, there is more of a presence and feeling of power that wasnt there before. The amount of controled bass is really impressive considering the size of the woofer.

I have been listening to Elsiane's Hybrid album and other trip-hop and i've had quite a few comments and inquiries when visitors are over about the set-up and how come it sounds "so good." which is interesting in that most "common folk" seem to notice unusually bright sounding speakers, where as these are rather tame.

Anyways, I like the look, size, uniqueness, transparency and realism of these and dont think i'll be changing them out soon...:banana: finally, the quest might be over (yea...right...)

The only thing I might be adding would be a powered subwoofer...something along the lines of 200w, 8" woofer, etc.. I just arrived in seattle this morning, but will post another video when I return. Cheers!
 
Back
Top Bottom