• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ohm Walsh 4 Garage Sale Score

schoolboy

Audiophile
Last week I picked up another pair or EPI 100's for $10 - like I really needed more stuff that I won't use and is tough to sell (or even give away). This week I got a keeper. Last night I was looking through the paper at today's garage sales. I instantly spotted one that said "OHM speakers." Visions of Walsh drivers went through my head all night (even though I know there are some lesser, more conventional Ohms, even they are pretty special). I'll admit, I had trouble sleeping.

Getting there a little early this morning, I find two very nice ladies (mother-daughter). The Ohms were the mother's and they are somewhat tattered. Walsh 4s. The daughter disconnected their Bose AM-5's (originals) to demo these for me. They sounded OK. Price $100. Talked them down to $80. The cabinets have one major ding, a couple minor, and the grills are pretty rough.

I put them in place where my Acoustat Model 3's go - 240 tube watts each. I was pleased that they were much louder than the Acoustats. They have a very addictive sound. Smooth and full. Not a thundering bass, but still good, and the smoothest bass relex I've ever owned (do they even count as bass reflex since they are unconventional?). Great on Barenboims Beethoven's 3rd DVD-A, Allman Bros. Eat a Peech SACD, Stones Through the Past Darkly SACD and Kinks Sleepwalker SACD.

Wide, well defined sound stage. Not at all omni-directional - they have muffling on parts of the back to prevent highs from going there. Highs do travel up.

I am quite pleased, and I will have to give these a lot of playing time. I am not sure where they come in my heirarchy - probably above the Spica Angelus, but I'm not sure how they compare to the Acoustat electrostatics or my Dynaudios. I also don't know what I will do with them. Retire the two pairs of JBL L-46's I used as rears, maybe?? Anybody in the Cleveland area need some speakers - I have too many extras.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Schoolboy, i own a pair of the OHM I's and fell in love with them the very first time I heard them, same findings you have--warm, rich and very very smooth....... I also found that the bass could be a little tighter faster so i called up John( at OHM speakers ) and had a very lengthy chat about OHM speakers.....from that conversation I decided to upgrade drivers and crossovers in mine....... all I can say is WOW, I thought they sounded fantastic before but now i get the warmness and sweetness of them and tons more detail, tighter bass, smoother highs and absolutely magical mids...... cost a bit to do this but for me i liked the sound so much i figured it was worth it, something to consider perhaps!!!
 
Great little Bolly there, I picked up a pair of these a while back but nowhere near that price. These did ascend to the top of the pecking order at my house. Well for everything but an all out heavy metal assault which does happen quite often. They do have an amazing sound breathing life into your music with them letting the subtle harmonics flow instead of being drowned out and covered up. I do think that the bass is very solid and well defined, quick enough for double bass drums but lacking that little extra umph. My good friend who is quite critical listened to them next to my HPM's and stated the hpm's are great speakers but that is the difference between the most bang for the buck and the best money can buy.
Congrats
 
Nice score Schoolboy...

Rick, did you upgrade the tweeters in the I's? I know what your going through.. but it is worth it in the end..

X
 
Thanks.

I did the comparison with the Acoustats (model 3's) and the electrostatics are much "cleaner" sounding than these Ohm Walsh 4's. The Ohms have wonderful dispersion (big sweet spot - almost impossible to be in a bad spot) which is the opposite of the electrostatics. The sound of the Ohms continues to please. I hope they sound OK with other (lesser) amps. I will try them on about half the tube power (120 watts).

The upgrades are quite costly for a cheapskate like me and these cabinets are not showcase quality (how a couple nice lady banged them around so much I don't know). They must play rough!
 
I found a pair of used OHM Walsh series FRS 15s. You will have to spend some serious money to get anything better. In a bedroom setting, they sound great at low volume listening to light jazz. Edit to say after talking to John at OHM, that guy could talk you into buying some more. :)
 
Last edited:
Punker X said:
Nice score Schoolboy...

Rick, did you upgrade the tweeters in the I's? I know what your going through.. but it is worth it in the end..

X


Did the 2 inch tweeters and just order the four 1 inch tweeters, love the difference every time i make a change!!!
 
shelby1420 said:
Did the 2 inch tweeters and just order the four 1 inch tweeters, love the difference every time i make a change!!!

Let me know how it goes, still running the original tweeters in mine.

X
 
I'm somewhat ignorant about these. In Walsh 4's is the tweeter fairly conventional? Or is it like an upside-down Walsh driver? I noticed a whole lot of high frequency sound going straight up.
 
The Ohm Walsh 4's, like many of the later Walsh models, used a conventional tweeter to supplement the Walsh driver. I purchased a set of Walsh 2's on E-bay a year or so ago, and later upgraded to the new drivers through Ohm. The speakers continue to impress me in sound quality and imaging. They are amazing to me in that the power response is so linear; I can move anywhere in the room (and room to room) and still clearly hear excellent sound.

I use the "super" Walsh 2's with a television, using the phantom center channel mode with Pro Logic. You do not need a center channel with these speakers; the image always appears to come from the television, even if you are significantly off center to the TV.

They're great speakers, and Ohm still provides great service and support.
 
Last edited:
rbneron,
What was your experience with the Ohm Walsh 2 upgrade? I picked up a pair at a garage sale earlier this summer and my experience mirrors those mentioned. Bass is definitely weaker than my ADS 1230's but a great non directional output. Anyway, what did you gain with the new drivers?

Uriah
 
Walsh 2 Upgrade

The Walsh 2 sounded good, but it is a 25 year old design. With the Super 2, you are upgrading to the newest Walsh driver and re-using your old cabinet (which is modified to remove the old crossover). You save big $$$ vs. a new Walsh, while getting the benefit of the new driver.

Benefits are smoother sound, better bass, and a more extended top end. Without putting them next to each other (not possible with an upgrade), it's hard to make a direct comparison, but I can tell you I am very satisfied with the sound.

If you enjoy your Walsh 2's as-is, no hurry to upgrade. However, I think Ohm's policy to allow you to upgrade to the newest driver / crossover at a fraction of the cost of the new model is a great deal. I actually prefer the trapezoidal cabinets of the Walsh 2 vs. the newer cylinders, and the sound will essentially be identical to the newest models.

I'm now considering having my cabinets refurbished by Ohm...they provide that service as well. My current cabinets are walnut; I want the lighter oak color. What other company provides that level of service for a 25 year old model!
 
Last edited:
ARguy said:
Sure wish I could have found the EPI 100's...boo hoo

Don't cry, man. Just keep looking! I have found (and purchased) EPi's thrice now.

I wish I had enough sense to buy them back in the 70's instead of the junk I got (Ultralinear 150's). Epi's were so cheap yet they had a very musical sound.

Gotta go listen to the Walshes while I work on the new floor for my basement. I think I'll do a little Yes and then some Handel.
 
Back
Top Bottom