• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

OK, before I go adopt a pair of Heresy's (1978 build) pro/con? versus newer

Darren James

Active Member
Well, I have been in contact with a guy for about a month and we have come to a price.

They have the old screw contacts on back and according to the serial number they are from 1978..

My music taste is "all" music!

DJ
 
Register to hide this ad
The newer Heresy sound better if you hear them a to b and side by side, yes, there is a slight difference. But on their own they sound great. I would get them if you got the right price. IIs are getting hard to find and IIIs even more so. I have two pair of Is and one pair of IIs. IIIs were sold to buy other gear.
 
The newer Heresy sound better if you hear them a to b and side by side, yes, there is a slight difference. But on their own they sound great. I would get them if you got the right price. IIs are getting hard to find and IIIs even more so. I have two pair of Is and one pair of IIs. IIIs were sold to buy other gear.

$300
 
If you like bass, do not buy Heresy.

Heresy was designed to be the center channel for the Klipschorns.

If your ears lack high frequency ability and you tend to place loud, they may suite you.

Personally, I thought they were the worst speaker I ever heard. Absolutely terrible.
 
Well....... I'm am pleased. I also learned how to use the treble control and loudness control on my Denon. Beautiful sound...
Might be wrong for listening at 6 feet which is my apartment problem..Overall I Love them!
 
Well....... I'm am pleased. I also learned how to use the treble control and loudness control on my Denon. Beautiful sound...
Might be wrong for listening at 6 feet which is my apartment problem..Overall I Love them!
Great price, look what they're going for right now on eBay.

Personally I prefer the series I over the later, the reason I own two pair. As for bass output, positioned as voiced "on the floor against the front wall" more than ample bass for most music.

My best description of their sound, my other speakers have that "you are there" presentation, while my Heresys have that "they are here" presentation. So when I feel like inviting Mic & the boys over to jam I crank up the Klipsch.
 
Well....... I'm am pleased. I also learned how to use the treble control and loudness control on my Denon. Beautiful sound...
Might be wrong for listening at 6 feet which is my apartment problem..Overall I Love them!

As it has been stated on Audiokarma: If it sounds good, it IS good. I used to have a pair of Heresies, and I also powered them with a solid-state amp - it provides better woofer control than the typical tube amp...IMHO and YMMV.
 
I had a pair of '70s Hereseys and don't miss them. They had good dynamic but sounded like a public address speaker on vocals and acoustic string instruments, there's a long list of other speakers I'd rather have.
 
Well....... I'm am pleased. I also learned how to use the treble control and loudness control on my Denon. Beautiful sound...
Might be wrong for listening at 6 feet which is my apartment problem..Overall I Love them!

Don't let anyone talk you out of liking them! Nothing can reproduce a horn (Blues/Jazz/Classical) like a horn :) Heresy's are a great pair of Klipsch to get started on, & for that price, you can enjoy them for a while & flip em for a "bigger" pair of Klipsch down the road if you like...(It's contagious, the "bigger Klipsch" disease, you'll see)

My Heresy II's are paired with an Emotiva 10" sub in my A/V surround sound home theater setup & are GREAT in that setting. I do however prefer my La Scalas or Chorus I's for more serious music listening.
 
Have a pair of 1975 Heresy's with the red surrounds.
Coupled with an inexpensive subwoofer.
Giant killers !!!
Crystal clear highs .... plenty of low end.
Exciting, full sound .... put a smile on your face.
Prefer this combo to other... more expensive options.
Not hollow or boomy sounding like say ... Advent Heritage.
The Advents would be on the very bottom of "my list".
Klipsch Cornwalls firmly on my "next" list.
 
Hereseys are great on horns and percussion, not so much on strings and voice. Electrified instruments benefit from the dynamics.

that certainly hasn't been my experience with any Klipsch speakers I've owned but I guess that is why so many different speakers exist...I will say that female voices sound very sweet on my Klipsch speakers from Diana Krall to Margo Timmins and Debra Harry...sometimes syrupy sweet...

enjoy what you enjoy!

Bill
 
Mine were the original, ca early 1970s. The only mod was to reverse the mid polarity as per a bulletin in The Dope from Hope. That was one factor that made me question their design parameters as it put their impulse response into question. Paul only measured swept freq response, he didn't 'do' impulse response testing in those days, if ever.
 
If you like bass, do not buy Heresy.

Heresy was designed to be the center channel for the Klipschorns.

If your ears lack high frequency ability and you tend to place loud, they may suite you.

Personally, I thought they were the worst speaker I ever heard. Absolutely terrible.

Worst speaker ever? I realize everyone's entitled to an opinion, but this statement is either completely ridiculous or you've only owned 4 set's of speakers in your lifetime!
 
So proper placement is a good idea too I have learned. I placed them on the floor pitched a little in front and have set my amp back to flat now.

They sound great! What detail.... Thank you all!!

Yes! Addiction.... just bought a pair of KG 3.2's that one has a frozen woofer. Cheap, real cheap.... Ordered a replacement woofer off of Ebay...
 
So proper placement is a good idea too I have learned. I placed them on the floor pitched a little in front and have set my amp back to flat now.

They sound great! What detail.... Thank you all!!

Yes! Addiction.... just bought a pair of KG 3.2's that one has a frozen woofer. Cheap, real cheap.... Ordered a replacement woofer off of Ebay...
Also have a pair of KG3.2's, they do not need a subwoofer lol. You're going to like them, really great speakers, but I still prefer my Heresys.
 
Herseys placed in Corners are pretty special. Sure the bass starts dropping off around 50hz but they are acceptable unless you are into heavy bass POP recordings. Now I'm the first one to say the bottom octave from 25 to 50 Hz is the foundation that all music is built upon. So when I got a chance I gave up a little dynamic range to get the bottom octave. They even make great front speakers for home theatre systems in smaller rooms as long as you have two great subs. I even used them a monitors when mixing down from multi channel to two channel masters for LP's, Cassettes Cd's when in a pinch. They worked great. I prefer them with Nasty old tube amps. I am not fond of tubes either, but the combo works. I ran our herseys for close to 20 years with a 2505 as best as I can remember. I still have the 2505. It will be 50 years old in 18 months or so.
 
Personally, I thought they were the worst speaker I ever heard. Absolutely terrible.
I wouldn't go quite that far, though a good subwoofer would help if the bass is what you're looking for. Many love Heresy, and I own a second gen pair which I bought on the cheap. I have a passive Klipsch sub connected and they sound great to my ears, but as always YMMV.
 
Back
Top Bottom