• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

OK to run 4 speakers w/ Spec 4?

SBinLilRock

Active Member
I recently aquired two sets of Klipsch Cornwalls. I was planing to power them with a spec1/spec4. I would run the speaker wire out of the spec 4 back to the spec 1, then have the two speakers set up where I can A/B/or play both at once.

My concern is when playing both at once, there will be a 4-ohm load on the amp (if my understanding is right). I think the spec 4 should be fine, but I would like some back up opinions:)
 
Register to hide this ad
So, if anyone here says "yeah, it's fine" and you hook it up that way and have a problem, you will be a very unhappy camper but it won't be their fault.

What I will say is that in the service manual, the SPEC 4 is calibrated to 200 watts per side with 4 ohm dummy resistors. Here's the thing: if the thermal compound on your output transistors has dried out or if the heat sinks are blocked or if they are covered with a layer of dust, they may not be able to shed the heat properly and you could end up with a thermal breakdown.

So, if your SPEC 4 is "up to spec", you should be fine.

Also keep in mind that the power meters on the front panel are calibrated to 8 ohms. Actual power output will be approximately double (minus internal losses) into 4 ohms.
 
No, I would never place blame on anyone else for my action. I just wanted opinions on if my thinking was correct--as I am by no means an expert. :D The spec 4 is in great condtions, and is very clean. The guy I purchased it from about a year ago had it serviced. I bought it from Dallas Vintage Audio. It has performed great so far. I've had it hooked to a pair of Klipsch RF-7 II's.
 
Back
Top Bottom