• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Old 90s Sugden separates, wow...

I think truly transparent electronics are rare; that the sound quality of different models can vary widely within most brands, even at similar price points; that even brand/model choices may be thwarted by specific bad examples; and that synergy can play a mysterious role.

Put the Regas back in after six months, then switch back to the Sugden after a couple of weeks with the Regas. If you feel the same way as you do now, congratulate yourself and sell the Regas!

I think it is either a synergy thing, or you stumbled across a boutique design that is simply better than one with a more orthodox reputation. But having heard neither, I may be full of it! :D
 
Sorry it took so long for me to reply with the requested pics and I apologize in advance for their low quality and less-than-optimal focus; I couldn't get a hold my actual camera, so these pictures were taken with my AMAZING phone :/
I will, of course, try and take more becoming photos when I have a chance...
I actually have a few more of the Rega system, but I couldn't post them; I will try on a next post.
In the meantime, everyone, take care and keep enjoying those tunes.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20140806_003702.jpg
    IMG_20140806_003702.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20140806_003514.jpg
    IMG_20140806_003514.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20140806_003505.jpg
    IMG_20140806_003505.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20140805_232828.jpg
    IMG_20140805_232828.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20140805_232912.jpg
    IMG_20140805_232912.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 54
More pics...
I am not too sure why, all of these pictures I've taken look MUCH more dusty than they actually are.
Perhaps it's the phone's camera or the lighting, but I assure you my gear is not so neglected as it may appear ;)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20140821_022116.jpg
    IMG_20140821_022116.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20140805_232925.jpg
    IMG_20140805_232925.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20140821_014848.jpg
    IMG_20140821_014848.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20140722_022125.jpg
    IMG_20140722_022125.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20140821_022106.jpg
    IMG_20140821_022106.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Seemingly yer Liking the Sugdens.. Often an aquired taste though as some are not amenable to their percieved 'darkness' .
Pertinent info is that these run class A, mostly.
Also that these are fairly pricey gizmos to buy new.
Which limits their market penetration.. some.
Start delving into Class A amps (they make good room heaters as well) for example: Pass Labs and /or First watt and one can go a couple :-) of steps higher up the sounds ladder.
It's a whole new world $$ allowing, as usual.
 
Seemingly yer Liking the Sugdens.. Often an aquired taste though as some are not amenable to their percieved 'darkness' .
Pertinent info is that these run class A, mostly.
Also that these are fairly pricey gizmos to buy new.
Which limits their market penetration.. some.
Start delving into Class A amps (they make good room heaters as well) for example: Pass Labs and /or First watt and one can go a couple :-) of steps higher up the sounds ladder.
It's a whole new world $$ allowing, as usual.

Obviously, I have yet to experience the pricier Sugden amplifiers, but if the sound these produce is any indication, I would probably love them. I would also probably hesitate calling the Sugden house sound "dark", especially when pitted against the Regas, which to me sound a bit sluggish, heavy, thick by comparison :sigh:

However, I am pretty sure this particular Sugden pair runs in class A/B, not class A. For one thing, it would run MUCH hotter were it class A; as it is, the Exons runs a LOT warmer at idle, cooling down somewhat while playing. The Sugdens remain cool throughout - though I do mostly play at low levels.

Back to my comparison, I've been doing extensive listening these past few weeks, switching between amps, and I am unsure what to make of it all. If, on the one hand, those that claim all amps sound the same (within their operational specs) are right, I just might be losing my mind; if, on the other hand, I am not delusional and these amps sound very different, I don't quite know which I prefer anymore. Sure, the Sugden sounds more open and lively, making it great for rock, but the Rega sound fuller (sometimes a bit too much so) and more enveloping, like a warm hug, which definitely suits slower acoustic music...

Maybe Sugden's leaner lower midrange blends in better with my room? Perhaps the Rega is activating room modes with an arguably fuller low end? My room really is quite small. I suppose it would be worth attempting to set everything up in a larger room upstairs for a day or two (my significant other permitting) to understand the extent to which my room may be skewing with my perspective and corresponding appreciation of both amps...

Will report back when I have a chance.
As it stands, for the price I paid, I am still completely amazed at what these Sugdens can do...
 
Last edited:
Well, after meeting the Sugdens, I never really managed to get on with Regas anymore; I traded those on for an Exposure amp, the pretty impressively specced and priced XXXV new Classic integrated with (onboard and awesome-sounding) phono stage.
I had heard of a similarity with Naim gear and the famous PRaT, and wanted to hear that pronounced drive for myself, something which I believed I wanted/needed after the lack of energy I felt I'd experienced from the Rega gear...
Well, I got my wish: the Exposure amp is one hell of a drive-master; it commands my speakers without remorse, it pushes them ever onwards and sounds great. It has the most controlled bass I've ever heard and the most energetic snares and cymbals. The sound is incredibly tight. Truly, a fantastic amp... but the channel separation, once again, is a bit weak in my room.
I compared this new fantastic toy to the Sugdens - and still the old boys rule the roost. Left - center - right pose no problem for the Sugdens; everything is well and solidly placed and everything sounds perfect and full and separate. The Exposure is quite a bit more abstract; the drive is nice (undeniable, really) and the (rather unbelievable) bass control is impressive, but imaging is a bit fluid and moves about and nothing stays as it should on the soundstage.... the voice is centered now, then offsets to the right as frequencies go higher... then maybe back to the center for a bit... really weird...
I will give further listen, but I am amazed once more at the abilities of these older Sugden separates... rock solid, driven, clean, dynamic, punchy even... I love 'em.
Their only flaw compared to the Exposure XXV? There is no way they control the lower registers that well. I don't know of any amp that could. Most tracks that have any real low bass sound merely present on most amps I've tried - they sound absolutely MONSTROUS (yet well integrated) with the Exposure. Example, opening track to Modest Mouse's Good News For People Who Love Bad News... when the bass drum kicks in, it KICKS with the Exposure through the Sierras like no amp can make it KICK... it's quite special.
Anyway, will keep comparing and appreciating. Reporting back when I have a chance...
Keep enjoying the tunes, friends.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom