• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old JC Penny Penncrest Stereo Record Player

DJdude

Member
Hello again~
Looking for some help again and you guys have always been really helpful in the past. I recently purchased a small stereo/record player by Penncrest. It’s old but in really good condition cosmetically. When I turn it on it lights up and wants to go. The first issue is the tuning knob only tunes it about an inch down from the top and then just turns freely after that, like there may be a cable broke? The second issue is the record player turns on and starts to turn but then stops. I can hear it turning underneath but it’s like the plate has come loose. Are these fixable of should I let it go?
Thanks for any help.
 

Attachments

  • 7AC1C1D5-1AA9-4642-956A-72BC88E70BA5.jpeg
    7AC1C1D5-1AA9-4642-956A-72BC88E70BA5.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 52FFAA32-1E9F-44CB-A954-642F83851994.jpeg
    52FFAA32-1E9F-44CB-A954-642F83851994.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 79
Register to hide this ad
sounds like the dial string is stretched, but could be the mechanism is sticky. There is a loop of string that runs from the tuning shaft, through the dial, and to the tuner itself. Usually there are a bunch of pullies along the way, a spring for tension, and sometimes the tuner mounts to rubber bushings. If any of that gets messed up things will slip. Pull it out and get eyes on it, you may spot the problem but I'd bet its not that hard to sort out.

Looks like a VM1200 changer. I'd bet lunch it needs a tear-down and re-lube. Every one I've ever had my hands on needed that. May also need an idler wheel and motor mount grommets. They aren't that hard to service, just tedious and a bit messy.
 
sounds like the dial string is stretched, but could be the mechanism is sticky. There is a loop of string that runs from the tuning shaft, through the dial, and to the tuner itself. Usually there are a bunch of pullies along the way, a spring for tension, and sometimes the tuner mounts to rubber bushings. If any of that gets messed up things will slip. Pull it out and get eyes on it, you may spot the problem but I'd bet its not that hard to sort out.

Looks like a VM1200 changer. I'd bet lunch it needs a tear-down and re-lube. Every one I've ever had my hands on needed that. May also need an idler wheel and motor mount grommets. They aren't that hard to service, just tedious and a bit messy.
You are always so helpful. Looks like a DIRTY JOB! I’ll take the back off this weekend and see what I’m up against. I’ll take pictures. I like your positivity and if I have to tear down and re-lube. I’ll buy your lunch.....gift card of course, ha! I wish you lived closer.
 
Back
Top Bottom