• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old Receiver + Old Speakers = ?

caxton1476

New Member
Friends!

I really enjoyed your perspectives and insights in the first real thread I posted: Dilemma: stay vintage or go modern?

I have a question about two of the components I listed in my post.

Is my Realistic STA-18 receiver (7 watts?) compatible with my Realistic Nova-6 speakers?

Here's my concern: the receiver is so low powered that I fear underpowering the speakers and wrecking them via the feared "square wave".

My instinct tells me this is not a real-world problem with this set-up. An amplifier that's possibly under-rated, speakers that are probably very efficient.

Educate me, AK team.

Sidebar: why do I want to know, if I recently asked about shedding vintage gear? I'd like to gift a kid (there are several) with a basic system that will sound nice in a dorm room, a first apartment, etc.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Caxton1476
 
Register to hide this ad
How big is the room and how loud do you like to listen? If small and relatively low, I think you'll be fine. Back in the 70s and 80s, Radio Shack used to sell the STA-155 amp (1.8 watts) with a pair of Minimus 7s. I actually used a similar combination (with the Optimus version) as an office system in the mid 1990s. Didn't play that loud before breakup, but it was fine for what it was. Don't push the system past its capabilities and you shouldn't suffer any damage.
 
I can't find the sensitivity rating for those speakers anywhere online. I think your ears are going to be the best gauge in this instance. If they go loud enough without distorting, you're good.

7 wpc isn't much, but with efficient speakers it might be enough.
 
My first higher quality receiver as a grade-schooler back in the 70's was a 10wpc SuperScope receiver. My buddy, who was shopping at the same time, bought the 8wpc Sansui -- both were priced the same in the audio store. We both had Advent speakers, and honestly both went as loud as we needed to. If if sounds good at the volumes you listen to, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

The low-end (low power) receivers from quality brands back then had great sound quality. No need for more power if you don't push the volume levels to the limits in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
Back in the 60s and 70s amplifier power outputs from valve amplifiers and early solid state amps were quite low by today's standards. We had loudspeakers that were high efficiency to allow a reasonable sound pressure level. Moving forwards to the late 70s / early 80s and we have high current silicon transistors and with those being available there was no longer a need for loudspeakers to have high efficiency. New materials, accuracy and high power handling became the rule. Consequently there is some incompatibility across the generations, just like old sports cars needing 5 star high octane petrol - no longer available.
So where does that leave us?
Either match vintage equipment with old school high efficiency speakers or accept that you will be running them at low volume. I guess it's called being sympathetic to the genre, After all, most people don't use classic cars as daily drivers. They keep them to cherish for special occasions.

Save the more modern gear for main systems, treasure your vintage equipment and treat it gently.
 
Hi @caxton1476,

I read your other thread with interest. Regarding this question, I believe the Nova 6s are ~88 db efficient. With the receiver being 7 watts, as long as the system is not abused it should be a fine sounding pair. If someone wants it LOUD, you would probably want to pair it with speakers that are > 95 db, or go with a receiver in the 35 or more watt range. Just my opinion...


​

 
What's the maximum sustained/continuous loudness (SPL, in dB) you want to be able to achieve, and at what listening distance? You can download an SPL meter to your smartphone to get a sense for how loud various dB levels are.

When I consider new speakers, I generally want to be able to get to at least 90dB at 10 feet, with at least 12dB of power in reserve (headroom) to minimize clipping of transient peaks. Assuming your speakers have a sensitivity of 88dB with one watt of input at 3 feet, you would need an amplifier capable of approximately 65 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load to hit those targets.

Your 7 watt amp can do about 83dB on a sustained basis, with enough headroom for 9dB peaks, with those speakers (again, assuming a 10 ft listening distance). Or 80dB on a sustained basis with 12dB of headroom. Etc.

Minor clipping, while ideally avoided, is not that big of a deal But if the speakers start sounding strained, compressed, or losing dynamics, or making any unusual sounds, you need to dial back the volume knob. Heavy clipping increases the potential for damage to your tweeters (from overpowering them, paradoxically) and can also throw your amplifier into oscillation...which in turn can damage the amp, the speakers, or both.
 
Last edited:
Yessss this is all super-helpful. Thank you.

The kid I have in mind here typically doesn’t listen to music at anything like “loud” levels. Her tastes run to Lana Del Ray on vinyl, played pretty low.

I do wonder if she’d be better off with a pair or Bluetooth-enabled powered speakers. She likes the old-school aesthetic thing, but she really just focuses on the music itself really.

Anyways, I’m going to give this setup a shot, then figure out its best use-case.
 
Yessss this is all super-helpful. Thank you.

The kid I have in mind here typically doesn’t listen to music at anything like “loud” levels. Her tastes run to Lana Del Ray on vinyl, played pretty low.

I do wonder if she’d be better off with a pair or Bluetooth-enabled powered speakers. She likes the old-school aesthetic thing, but she really just focuses on the music itself really.

Anyways, I’m going to give this setup a shot, then figure out its best use-case.

I've not heard those speakers, but I"m guessing that combo sounds better than typical Bluetooth (although there are some quite good sounding Bluetooth speakers if you choose carefully). My niece preferred the vintage vibe also, especially related to a turntable.

You can add Bluetooth capability to your receiver for about $25, which I'd recommend if she is used to wireless Bluetooth (https://www.amazon.com/B06-Plus-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming/dp/B078J3GTRK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=21HUKSG02TWV8&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.UNBbIM9bC5t3WXzS7C0rQoxcfP72H-C4EVIWGmmR8YVymdIToZFm5akF_jGksoJUgS4xKXI1u3wX3G2kx-wleTMC3UT4V0mVJZtmOxBymC9GJG-3Jn-QS6tEUdb8_lqwNwbWakEJ4lnG6iNRL8pPt2mgxK53YMx5QrHB4Egs4XATOn4Nd9jne3H_tH_XwLzgCaIpPBgQqXzs02d8JvhlCBRkiUcKJOl6IEh0OVzca10.g-ff-THDIgne9a0UZnUnebwbrd92uzyPduY0JvHRmVc&dib_tag=se&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+aptx&qid=1711074804&sprefix=bluetooth+adapter+aptx,aps,85&sr=8-3&th=1).

61MIQTplNpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
 
I have a couple of those. Cheap, stable, easy to setup. For a couple more bucks, you can get one with a DAC inside.
 
Back
Top Bottom