• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

old speakers dbx soundfield v

audio phil

New Member
I HAVE these old dbx soundfield speakers and sub woofer /150w mpa150
ARE the sub woofers of today have a better sound then this huge sub woofer.
I also have a pioneer receiver vsx9500s from 1989.Guess they don't make them like that anymore..
 
Register to hide this ad
If I recall that speaker system, the sub is really just a low frequency driver. It was part of a three unit system that had a "sub". For it to truly be used as a sub you needto used the dedicated amp.

If the speaker you are talking about is something that DLK sold back in the day. . . it is just a designated low frequency driver, not a subwoofer.

Pictures would greatly help!!!!
 
Last edited:
If I recall that speaker system, the sub is really just a low frequency driver. It was part of a three unit system that had a "sub". For it to truly be used as a sub you needto used the dedicated amp.

If the speaker you are talking about is something that DLK sold back in the day. . . it is just a designated low frequency driver, not a subwoofer.

Pictures would greatly help!!!!

Would be "DAK." (They were local and I used to buy from them). And IIRC, their "dbx" was actually made by BSR as was much of their stuff
 
DBX Soundfiled V:
  • 1- 15" nylon laminated cone front mounted woofer with 44 oz. magnet structure
  • 1- 8" polypropylene cone midrange (800hz - 3500hz) closed basket design mounted at 30 degree angle
  • 1- 2 3/8" H X 3/16 W. micro-thin aluminum ribbon tweeter mounted at 30 degree angle. Exponentially flared frame ensures maximum wide-angle horizontal dispersion for all frequencies above 3500 hz.
  • 1- 4" polypropylene cone top mounted midrange ambiance driver (1200 Hz - 5000 Hz).
  • 1- 2" phenolic-ring clamped liquid edge cone top-mounted ambiance tweeter. (5000 Hz +)
  • Attenuator control to adjust the volume of the top firing speakers to adjust to room characteristics.
  • Speakers can be biamped.
  • Dimensions: 36" high x 18 3/8" wide x 12" deep.
  • Weight: 50 lbs. each.
As I recall, the MPA-150 was an outboard 150w/chan amp that sold with the sub. The sub was a 15" dual voice-coil, passive affair.

I would imagine they look a lot like these:

dbx.jpg


Dave
 
Last edited:
You will not need that sub with the soundfield v speakers. Those 15" speakers go real low. Use the sub for home theater.
 
... Use the sub for home theater.
IMHO, these old passive subs (re: woofer in a box) are not a substitute for a true sub-woofer for HT applications. These impressively sized passive boomers could never be expected to come anywhere close to the LF demands that an LFE channel presents. Modern subs with a dedicated plate amp, even in 8" form, are likely better equipped to handle the demands of sub-45hz sound reproduction.

Dave
 
DBX Soundfield V's subwoofer

Opinion only: I have two Soundfield V's, used with two KLH self-powered sub-woofers. The 15' speakers on the Soundfields serve very well for the mid-range. However, like most very large speakers, they become muddied when used for the very low end, especially when also combined with the low mid-range (speaker-cone interference). Thus, they really need the sub-woofers, which I run on both front channels because of having a very large and tall room with cathedral ceilings. (Low frequency sources may not always be omni-directional.)

The Soundfield V's, when used in my large and irregular room, do a great job of dispersion -- allowing sound to bounce off walls and ceiling and providing a VERY wide stage. This is terrific if you are listening to a 2-channel source (CD's) with ProLogic as a way to give rear presence and maybe even use "Phantom" center. Having said that, I really doubt that a genuine 7.1 source would profit from them -- might even subtract from the presence speakers. This might be one of those trade-offs between surround and fidelity.

Yamaha CD/DVD
Yamaha DSP-A1000
 
I have one of those dedicated bass cabs. I agree, they aren't really suited for heavy duty sub use.

I'm scrounging a 100W plate amp off of an 8" Jensen sub I have laying around to see how it works out.


Turborusty
 
How do they sound? Damn it, I'm tired of getting speakers with lack luster bass response. I want some sound like my Sennheiser HD-280 PROs damn it! What makes a good, well melded, DEEP and full noise? Do these do it?
 
So by the above comments, passive woofers in separate boxes, notwithstanding, I'm assuming you think that all passive speakers with 10, 12 or 15 in. woofers would not therefore measure up in terms of bass response to an 8 in. "subwoofer" with its own amp? Is everyone forgetting the early HSU passive subs that went as low as 18 hz(-3db)?

I'm sure those of us with IMFs, B&W 801s, AR9s, KEF 105s, 104s and many other large vintage speakers would also tend to disagree.

Any good quality passive 15 in. driver in a properly designed box will plumb the depths far more capably than nearly any equivalent-quality powered 8 in. driver I can name, save a few exotic and very costly designs with tremendous excursion capability driven by high-powered amplification.

Plunking a mediocre 15 in. driver into an incorrectly-sized box will never produce decent bass response. Anyone thinking of building such a subwoofer system should first map driver response parameters, then tailor the box specifications accordingly.
 
Back
Top Bottom