• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old vs new - Marantz 2270 vs Leak 230

Mewzishun

New Member
Posting this out of pure curiosity! I want to get people’s thoughts and preference between the models.
I have listened to the Marantz 2270 before (not the Leak).
I know the Marantz is a receiver and the Leak is an integrated amp. Don’t really care about that. I’m more about sound comparison through some nice speakers (I know vague) in a nice room.
Been looking at prices and a restored 2270 can be had for roughly the same price as a Leak 230.
I really love the looks of both. A Bluetooth receiver can always be added to the 2270.

Anyways…
 
Register to hide this ad
Crutchfield will allow you to return a unit just because you do not like it, so you could get the Leak and try it, maybe even A/B it with the 2270. Does the restored 2270 come with a warranty?
 
A Harley Davidson and a Kawasaki are both motorcycles. This is about as close as those two units are.

I would think a new Leak 230 would sound better than an unrestored 2270. A properly restored 2270 would, I would think, have a fuller sound and more power than the Leak as power was measured differently back then. The Leak has more digital sources. The 2270 has old school stereo features which may or may not be important to you.

The 2270 was early on in the golden age of solid state Marantz, thus it sounds warm and tube-y. The Leak should sound more clean and cold.
 
The odds that someone here on AK has or had a 2270 and the Leak at the same time then did a side by side comparison is extremely low.
 
Just thinking thru what @Kodaline posted, speakers will have a significant effect on the presentation. If you try the warmer Marantz w softer vintage speakers, the sound may be too rounded off & lack detail & precision; if you got the crisper Leak & combined it w more clinical modern speakers, the result might be too sharp & bright. I'm talking in generalities of course and your preferences are (of course) critical in any evaluation.
If the decision were mine, I'd get the Leak as I'm not a tech guy so newer works better (that or factor in the cost of someone doing a full refurb on the Marantz).
Fun problem to have. I think you're going to have to make some assumptions here as you'll likely not get the chance to hear both units thru the same speakers.
Good luck w yr decision
 
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious what people thought and get a conversation going.
I already have a beautiful ‘78 Kenwood L-series system pushing some 85 Anniversary Wharfdale Lintons. Pretty perfect match.

Eventually I’d like to put together another system, but I’m pretty content right now. :)
Leak does have amazing modern amenities and the 2270 has that gorgeous old school look and vibe.
 
Back
Top Bottom