• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Old vs New

lennono84

New Member
Hello again all,
I've been thinking of selling two or three of my turntables, and buying a decent Technics (or other TT like it, with strobe, basically, a 1200 series TT), and have been wondering about whether to go used or new. I'd really appreciate any opinions, is there a real advantage to just buying one (for around $200-250 or so) new or used?? Other than age? Any recommendations on a specific model?? Any help is appreciated!


-Side note- the TT's I'm considering selling are a JVC L-A31, a JVC QL-A200, and a Pioneer Pl-990 (I know they're not high-end, but that's why I want to upgrade)

Bill
 
Register to hide this ad
I suppose...

that if you buy a used old one there is more problems that you may need to deal with and parts for it may not b easy to find. however u may b able to get a fairly high quality one for the price range u were considering. however if u were to shop around 4 a brand new high quality one today u may b spending a lot more than the price range u were considering. just some thoughts from a newbie. hope they help!

(I myself recently scored an 8 dollar technics sl-1700 off ebay w/ out a needle, these are from the mid to late 70s, and im still waiting for a new needle to b shipped to me, all seems to work gr8, hope u find a good one!)
 
Hi Bill,

I have never ventured into the Technics line, but I have a lot of experience with vintage tables. I am a huge proponent of the belt-driven suspended platter tonearm design, isolating the motor from those two areas.

I would highly recommend a Thorens or an AR. Prices have recently spiked, but if you wait it out, you could grab a nice Thorens TD 160/145/166/165 in that range. The main thing is to get the seller to guarantee the motor...it is hard and not cheap to get a replacement. With belt off the motor should run silently and without any noticeable wobble. An AR ES-1 or EB-101 might also be found in that range. The good thing about those two ARs is the arms are easier to change out.

dave
 
Last edited:
Bill I just got a new SL-1210 mk2 and am happy with it so far. I thought of used, but this is a home setup and I just didn't want to be wondering if my TT had spent the last few years in a smoky club/DJ setup etc.

Setup for a newbie like me was pretty easy, the only real challenge being the mounting of the cartridge to headshell - not good for shaky hands like mine!
 
Back
Top Bottom