• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

On Veterans' Day

danj

modern primitive
It's Veterans' Day in the US.

As a six year veteran of the US Navy, I extend a heartfelt THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE to all current military and veterans and their families.

For those who have served in the armed forces of other countries - thank you, too.

And let us all pray for the day when a military is no longer needed - when humanity can learn to focus on its commonality rather than its differences, and prejudice, tyranny, and fanaticism are all relegated to the history books.

My maternal grandfather - US Marines: 1930-1954 (retired a Sgt. Major)
My father - US Navy: 1942-1945 (served in the Pacific theater)
My cousin Mack - US Marines: 1950-1953 (first Marine wounded in combat in the conflict in Korea - he got to meet President Truman for his troubles)
My cousin Sammy - US Navy: 1964-1967 (died fighting the fire on the USS Forrestal in 1967)
My cousin Jerry - US Air Force: 1964-1968
My cousin Robin - US Air Force: 1973-1977
Me - US Navy: 1973-1979
My eldest son: US Army Rangers: 1993-1997 (medical out due to combat-related eye injury)
My niece Julie- US Navy: 1998-2002
My youngest son: US Coast Guard: 2000-present (rising through the ranks, soon to become an officer)
 
Register to hide this ad
We salute you, and all your relatives for their service!

My Dad served in Korea (thanks Dad!), his older brother was a part of the normandy invasion, and I have cousin who was in the Coast Guard (then the merchant marines). Lots of stories to be told by all (who are still alive).
 
danj, this 25-year Navy veteran salutes you and your impressive family. Your post is eloquent and on the mark, in my judgment. In that same spirit I render a hand salute to those now serving, those who have served and their families. I for one am deeply grateful for your sacrifices.
 
My great-uncle died in the South Pacific in 1944. I never knew him, but his spirit of sacrifice is the reason I love Veterans Day so much and have the username I have. Paying homage to the Armed Forces and helping ensure their sacrifice is not forgotten is the best I can do since I'm physically unable to serve in such a fashion.

I believe later I'm going to get out both of my albums of military marches and play them in honor of all vets.
 
A day to remember all those who have served to protect our freedom. Thank you all! :thmbsp:

My dad was in the Navy from 54-58 and even served on the same ship as his younger brother his last year at sea. His two other brothers were also in the Navy as was my grandfather and two great uncles.
 
My son has done 2 tours in Iraq and my father was one of very few black MP's and training specialists training white officers in WW2. Hats off to all who serve!

Albany, Oregon where I live is home to one this country's largest Veteran's Day parades. A proud annual event for the locals.
 
My dad was in the Navy during WWII.... Happy Veteran's Day to all in the service..

Ditto that.

Dad served as an electrician's mate aboard a LCI (Landing Craft Infantry) in the Pacific. He was just a kid then, all of 19. At 19 he saw more of both the good and the bad that humanity has to offer than I have in my 46 years. He came home and just wanted to get married, raise his family and try to forget about Tinian, Tarawa, Eniwetok, and some of the other blood and guts battles that he saw.

Sometimes I don't realize just how much he taught me, and just how much I miss him, until it sneaks up on me. Today is such as day, and I think I'm going to go hoist a cold one for dad.

To those who fought, and to those who continue to fight, you have my unending gratitude.
 
Back
Top Bottom