• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

One More Off Of The List

Dark Tuner Dial Or Light Tuner Dial?

  • Dark All The Way!

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Light All The Way!

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I Dont Care As Long As It Works

    Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I Am Triggered By This Question Because I Love Both

    Votes: 8 34.8%

  • Total voters
    23
Wow, that's a great story. Thanks for linking this from that other thread. Your Sears/Fisher is a real looker and I'm glad you're enjoying the sound too. I was totally blown away by the sound of the Fisher 170 I bought. As a kid it was always Pioneer, Technics, Yamaha, but, of course, I bought a Kenwood first. :) My uncle was a total audiophile and he guided me there as I wanted an integrated tape deck. I loved the thing. My father didn't, which made it all the better sounding. :)

I'm interested in knowing the characteristics of the speakers you use with the Fisher. I recall from the other thread that you prefer the two channels for music and we're both Polk fans.

btw, I sent an inquiry to Polk about the speakers I have. I think they are an earlier rendition of the ones they have selling on Amazon for $100. This is shocking to me, because my uncle was always a bit of a stereo snob. So to find that he might have spent a mere $100 in 1998 or so money, thrills me because he found terrific sound on a cheap budget... meaning to or not. And I think that is a commentary for another time. I always looked down my nose at anything from Montgomery Ward or Sears or JC Penny, maybe there are some diamonds in the rough out there still.

The Sansuis SP70s I am using now are a 8iinch 2 way vintage speaker. I liked them when I bought them last Nov but did not love them. When I got the Fisher they proved to be a very nice match for them and now I really like them. Synergy is as important as anything else and the synergy is just great between them but I don't know why. It is a great combo for jazz especially. For bass heavy music my Small Advents are a better choice.

I have two MCS JCPenny receivers, one made by NEC and one made by Arvin. Both are actually pretty impressive so don't discount them at all.
 
Last edited:
The Sansuis SP70s I am using now are a 10 iinch 2 way vintage speaker. I liked them when I bought them last Nov but did not love them. When I got the Fisher they proved to be a very nice match for them and now I really like them. Synergy is as important as anything else and the synergy is just great between them but I don't know why. It is a great combo for jazz especially. For bass heavy music my Small Advents are a better choice.

I have two MCS JCPenny receivers, one made by NEC and one made by Arvin. Both are actually pretty impressive so don't discount them at all.

So I've been considering these headphone tube amps... Since I'm running the pc into the receiver thru the aux of the Fisher 170, I'm wondering how this might work out. I'm going to invest in some speakers with the10 inch woofers just to try them out. There are a number of technics and others available locally on craigslist and google sales-thingy. The beauty, i feel, is I can return the headphone tube amps if they don't deliver. What I think could happen is that I can get a boost in the volume from the pc without degrading, and maybe strengthening the pc signal to the receiver. Right now, it's pretty weak and i have to jack the receiver up.

I know I'm all over the place. It's 6 months of reading and an enthusiasm from childhood. :)
 
So I've been considering these headphone tube amps... Since I'm running the pc into the receiver thru the aux of the Fisher 170, I'm wondering how this might work out. I'm going to invest in some speakers with the10 inch woofers just to try them out. There are a number of technics and others available locally on craigslist and google sales-thingy. The beauty, i feel, is I can return the headphone tube amps if they don't deliver. What I think could happen is that I can get a boost in the volume from the pc without degrading, and maybe strengthening the pc signal to the receiver. Right now, it's pretty weak and i have to jack the receiver up.

I know I'm all over the place. It's 6 months of reading and an enthusiasm from childhood. :)

I don't use headphones anymore as my hearing is damaged enough. I am old enough to remember when tubes where the norm and an expensive pain in the ass. They require far more effort and money to keep them in tip shop shape than I am willing to spend. I prefer vintage SS with vintage speakers for two channel listening. I have an AVR with surround and a sub for movies etc. Know your budget before you get sucked into tubes as they will get pricy fast.
 
Funny how things change.......here it is almost September and both the 2220B and STA 95 have been sold and yet the Fisher is still here, doing computer duty now and still working like a champ.

20180831_080624.jpg 20180831_080556.jpg
 
That's a beauty. My Fisher 107 is handling my computer for movies, tv, and music. Love it. The stereo light burned out a few weeks ago. I think it needs a good cleaning over all, but I've been too busy and am a bit intimidated by taking the cover off to do it myself.
 
Well four months later I have bought another Fisher receiver. I stopped buying receivers after getting the one in this thread and started getting integrated amps. But the old flame returned when I bought anther Fisher this week. After putting the new one at my computer I put the one in this thread in the bedroom with the Dynacos A25s.........and it is a combo that is just great. I am so glad I have not lost the ability to appreciate the simple vintage receiver and vintage speaker combo. Simple, sweet sounding and classic.

20181204_193958.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom