• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

One Turntable, two Amps, Possible?

teftamaqua

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a Technics SLD2 and would like to drive Marantz 2275 and a Dynaco ST 120. I have one upstairs and the other in the basement. Is there a way I can drive both with the same turntable. I have multiple sources connected by a Schitt Saga.. I can listen to my OPPO BDP-103, PC-USB audio on both simultaneously using the Saga because it has two outputs.

Thanks Tim,

PS, I do have a PDF Diagram of my system.
 
Register to hide this ad
As long as your turntable is connected to a preamp with a short cable, and you are running long cables to your power amps... I would say yes. You would need to make sure the cables do not pickup any AC line noise though. You also would want to keep the amp cables short as possible unless you are running balanced cables too.
 
:lurk: interesting - your Schiit Saga is your pre-amp for all your sources, but I assume it doesn't have a Phono Pre-amp?
I suppose the easy way is to connect your turntable to a phono pre-amp (Schiit makes something called the Mani) then connect that to your Saga.

Your 2275 has phono inputs, but going that route could complicate how you make use of your Schiit Saga.

How is your Schiit Saga connected to your Marantz 2275 - through the Main-In connectors so you're using the 2275 as a power amp only?
 
I would get a second turntable. Up and downstairs ever 20 minutes or so could become tiresome pretty fast too. Even if you only have a small collection of records, carrying a few in one trip to the current listening room would be less hassle.
 
:lurk: interesting - your Schiit Saga is your pre-amp for all your sources, but I assume it doesn't have a Phono Pre-amp?
I suppose the easy way is to connect your turntable to a phono pre-amp (Schiit makes something called the Mani) then connect that to your Saga.

Your 2275 has phono inputs, but going that route could complicate how you make use of your Schiit Saga.

How is your Schiit Saga connected to your Marantz 2275 - through the Main-In connectors so you're using the 2275 as a power amp only?



I use the Saga outputs to drive the Dynaco and the 2275 via the aux inputs

One of the reasons I bought the Saga

And yes it is the premp for the Dynaco, but if I want to go totally Tube, I have a switch to select a Pas3

I also have a Mani for the phono stage

I have to make some changes to the sustem schematic and most wil make sense

I know this sounds odd, but I really like the sound of the 2275 and the Dynaco playing at the same time.

I drive JBL LS166s with the tube and L112s with the Marantz

Thanks for the insight

Tim
 
:lurk: interesting - your Schiit Saga is your pre-amp for all your sources, but I assume it doesn't have a Phono Pre-amp?
I suppose the easy way is to connect your turntable to a phono pre-amp (Schiit makes something called the Mani) then connect that to your Saga.

Your 2275 has phono inputs, but going that route could complicate how you make use of your Schiit Saga.

How is your Schiit Saga connected to your Marantz 2275 - through the Main-In connectors so you're using the 2275 as a power amp only?
 
I use the Saga outputs to drive the Dynaco and the 2275 via the aux inputs

One of the reasons I bought the Saga

And yes it is the premp for the Dynaco, but if I want to go totally Tube, I have a switch to select a Pas3

I also have a Mani for the phono stage

I have to make some changes to the sustem schematic and most wil make sense

I know this sounds odd, but I really like the sound of the 2275 and the Dynaco playing at the same time.

I drive JBL LS166s with the tube and L112s with the Marantz

Thanks for the insight

Tim

So in addition to the Mani, you have a Dynaco PAS3 pre-amp. You have 3 options for a phono-pre-amp (Mani, PAS3, 2275).
It doesn't sound odd to me. I run my Turntable into a Kenwood KA-8006 and use a Tape Out to a Marantz PM350. I'm driving one set of speakers with the KA-8006 and another set with the PM350. Since I've got the 2 amps, I prefer running only one set of speakers from each amp. I've had some 4 ohm speakers where I don't want to run 2 sets off the same amp. My Kenwood does not have Pre-Out / Main-In jacks, if it did I might do things differently.

With all those options, I would do some testing to see which of your 3 phono pre-amps sound the best to you.
 
my setup
So in addition to the Mani, you have a Dynaco PAS3 pre-amp. You have 3 options for a phono-pre-amp (Mani, PAS3, 2275).
It doesn't sound odd to me. I run my Turntable into a Kenwood KA-8006 and use a Tape Out to a Marantz PM350. I'm driving one set of speakers with the KA-8006 and another set with the PM350. Since I've got the 2 amps, I prefer running only one set of speakers from each amp. I've had some 4 ohm speakers where I don't want to run 2 sets off the same amp. My Kenwood does not have Pre-Out / Main-In jacks, if it did I might do things differently.

With all those options, I would do some testing to see which of your 3 phono pre-amps sound the best to you.
 
What I was going to do was to run the SL D2 right into the phono stage of the 2275. Use the tape out of the 2275 as one of the inputs to the Saga, since there are 6.
I would have thought this was the solution, but the tape monitor out for some reason is not active when I have the selector switch on the amp on phono. I remember when I first bought the amp in the seventies, I would tape albums this way, onto Eight Track Tapes.

I will have to get my scope out and take a look at the monitor outputs. Something is not making sense here. For your info, I have attached a rough sketch of the system in question.

Thank you for all you fine analysis
 

Attachments

What I was going to do was to run the SL D2 right into the phono stage of the 2275. Use the tape out of the 2275 as one of the inputs to the Saga, since there are 6.
I would have thought this was the solution, but the tape monitor out for some reason is not active when I have the selector switch on the amp on phono. I remember when I first bought the amp in the seventies, I would tape albums this way, onto Eight Track Tapes.

I will have to get my scope out and take a look at the monitor outputs. Something is not making sense here. For your info, I have attached a rough sketch of the system in question.

Thank you for all you fine analysis


Problem Solved!!!!

The answer was right in front of me all the time, but you made it clear

So, the Saga has two simultaneous outputs, six selectable inputs and best of all attentuated remote controlled audio.

I ran the SL D2 to the Mani, in turn to a selctable input. Each output is connected to the 2375 Aux and Dynaco. Whala, one phono, two amps.

If I want to listen all tube I use a Scitt Sys to switch the turntable input between the Mani input to the Dynaco Pas3, using its phono stage. Of course this is connected to the ST 120.

Time to update the CADD drawings.

Thank You!!!
Tim
 
I'd be interested to know how the phono stage on the Pas3 sounds compared to the Mani?

Using the phono stage of the 2275 with a tape out to your Saga should have worked, that is essentially what I do -
Phono ----> Kenwood KA-8006 -----Tape Out------->Marantz PM350. (with a little twist - there's a tape loop to a Pioneer SG-9500 EQ in the mix also.
But I can drive one set of speakers from the KA-8006 and another set from the PM350.
Of my available options, I prefer the phono stage on the Kenwood.

Part of the enjoyment is experimenting with different set ups and combinations of gear.
 
I'd be interested to know how the phono stage on the Pas3 sounds compared to the Mani?

Using the phono stage of the 2275 with a tape out to your Saga should have worked, that is essentially what I do -
Phono ----> Kenwood KA-8006 -----Tape Out------->Marantz PM350. (with a little twist - there's a tape loop to a Pioneer SG-9500 EQ in the mix also.
But I can drive one set of speakers from the KA-8006 and another set from the PM350.
Of my available options, I prefer the phono stage on the Kenwood.

Part of the enjoyment is experimenting with different set ups and combinations of gear.


Actually, without switching or extra components, I wanted to connect directly from SL D2 to Pas3 phono stage, directly to the ST 120.
To my ears, it did not sound as well as the SL D2 to the Mani to the Saga and connect to both Amps. I have everything upstairs. I listened to Just tube, both tube and 2275. I like when I listed to both at once. But I had to use the low frequency cutoff on the 2275, because it would just drive the woofers of the JBL LS112s bonkers.

But, I started down this path 5 years ago, with digital music. Having the P-C in the mix with almost two TBytes of high def music.I started building my system around the 2275, but I just loved JBL Speakers. I have 7 sets. 112s, 166s, 4311s, and 3 pair of L100s. I really the the products Schitt Audio has. I am not a Millionaire but worked hard to find what was best for ME!

I also have a Pioneer SX1250 I bought almost forty years ago, and since rebuilt. I pair it up with HPM 100s. Way too loud!!!!!

Sorry for the long winded replay, but appreciate your interest and recommendations.

Tim
 
Back
Top Bottom