• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

One year and still running like a champ.

Andre Garcia

“WITHOUT MUSIC, LIFE WOULD BE A MISTAKE”
A year ago I made my second string suspension tonearm. This one made from wood and 11” long.
No issues as many think regarding the string suspension, knocking wood still the same. I play 3 to 6 records daily.
The sound is the best I could achieve and I never will go back to gimbal again.
If you have or ever tried one post your comments.
E5E1C7B4-D08C-4486-8FBD-592A8BB45D67.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
So is the arm just suspended on a piece of string and hangs freely? I would love to see some more close ups of the suspension arrangement. Very interesting concept.
There is few version. Some of them use to magnets in the bottom that attrack one each other, other are mechanically attache to a spring to keep it tensioned. Mine is in basis a magnet but I found a different way.
The string is not one piece, is a synthetic thread. The whole idea is avoid chattering from bearings free play. You get different issues but are much easier to address them.
AG.
 
Andre like I always say "Your the Master tonearm & headshell maker!". :bowdown::thumbsup:

One of those high-end tonearm companies made tonearms with string pivot. Reed? "Well Tempered" makes turntables with their string pivot tonearms.
 
Thank you all for the kind words.
The most difficult task is drill a 1/8” through 12” wood pieces. I do it from both side and so far I met the first drill perfectly.
The wood is 20 year well dried and conserved, making easier the drilling process.
AG.
 
Thank you all for the kind words.
The most difficult task is drill a 1/8” through 12” wood pieces. I do it from both side and so far I met the first drill perfectly.
The wood is 20 year well dried and conserved, making easier the drilling process.
AG.

I wonder if there's something in the pen making world that would help with that. That's not an easy hole to make.
 
I wonder if there's something in the pen making world that would help with that. That's not an easy hole to make.
Lot of those guys make two long halves, and route in a long channel on both halves and glue them back up. Sometimes veneer over it to hide the seam. Sometimes not
 
Lot of those guys make two long halves, and route in a long channel on both halves and glue them back up. Sometimes veneer over it to hide the seam. Sometimes not
I discarded this idea because the glue will change the wood characteristic making it ornamental only IMO.
AG.
 
Here some close ups.
The cart holder is mounted on rubber so less vibration is moving back and forward.
55B28079-C9AD-437D-B472-5FCF4EE2E625.jpeg
You can adjust the VTA and anti-skating
independently. The long string is just an uncut material (lazy)
FAB20834-8C51-43A1-B1E4-DAD0A70DF08F.jpeg
The cart geometry is adjusted moving the whole arm. This way is easier and on the fly if you need.
String.
B0E9C4C9-FDF7-47DF-B273-E727DF3D724F.jpeg
Hope its help.
Andre.
 

Attachments

  • A8B7CDC6-97D4-4781-AC4D-A33575AD1386.jpeg
    A8B7CDC6-97D4-4781-AC4D-A33575AD1386.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom