• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo A-8190 - worth buying?

8900ZDB

Member
Hi everybody, I have a few questions about an Onkyo A-8190 amp. First, I believe this amp is from around 1990 because I have the predecessor A-8087 from 1989. First question, did the A-8190 come out right after the A-8087? I think this is correct because I remember the A-8087 being the last well built amp from Onkyo. There is an A-8190 on eBay right now for $295.00 but I can get one locally for $100.00 and an internet search shows a used price of $80.00, so this shows the A-8190 on eBay is stupidly priced, but it can be used to see what the internals look like. A quick look at the internals shows SERIOUS price cuts in quality and components as my A-8087 has HUGE transformers where the A-8190 has tiny and cheap looking transformers. Also, the A-8190 chassis looks like it’s made from much thinner metal and has that 1990s look instead of the better built 1980 models. Too me, a look at the chassis shows a thin, un-dynamic, pale, and unimpressive sound because of the cost cutting and cheap components used - would you agree?

Here are additional questions:

Would anyone here buy an Onkyo A-8190? If so, how much would you pay for one? Also, does anyone here own an Onkyo A-8190? If so, do you also own older Onkyo models and can you compare the sound quality for me? Lastly, would you spend your money on an Onkyo A-8190 or something else? If so, what? Should I just look for an Onkyo A-8087 and forget about the Onkyo A-8190? If so, why? My Onkyo A-8087 still works as new and is in mint condition and I need another amp for another room. I do not see any Onkyo A-8190 amps with wood sides, which my Onkyo A-8087 has wood sides and I like that, so this looks to be another cost cutting option Onkyo chose.

Thanks everybody. I look forward to your responses.
 
Register to hide this ad
Onkyo A-8190

I had a couple of 8190's briefly. The 80's models like the 8087 and 8067 (which had a great review from Stereo Review Magazine IIRC) were indeed likely a bit better built, but I'm reasonably sure the 8190 was the flagship integrated of their later lineup with some unique features and decent power output ratings including dynamic ratings into 4 and 2 ohm loads. There are specs available if your do a quick google which brought up a copy of a service manual for free. 100/wpc into 8 ohm loads, 29.1 pounds with a slew of inputs including MC & MM. You could definetely do a lot worse. If I remember correctly, if it should need a serious cleaning the front panel must come away to get to the controls and switches. That would be my only real complaint offhand. I have an A-SV810PRO which feels solid as a rock and has the Delta two transformer power supply but I think it still wouldn't compare to either the 8087/8067 or 8190 due to the dadgum surround circuitry even though it can be bypassed. My 2 cents worth...
 
Your 2 cents is exactly what I was hoping to get from this site for advice. Thanks for the info on the service manual.

I know the Onkyo A-8087 was the TOTL when it was out and I too think the Onkyo A-8190 was the TOTL when it came out after the A-8087 line. I’m really torn between the A-8087 and the A-8190 because I already have the A-8087, however, if I didn’t, I would go with the A-8087 and not even think about it and this is what concerns me about an A-8190 purchase. I would like the A-8190 because I don’t have one, but is it worth having instead of an A-8087? That’s my dilemma. I think my question is should I buy another A-8087 or purchase an A-8190? And why one over the other?

Thanks everybody. I look forward to your responses.
 
Hi everybody, I have a few questions about an Onkyo A-8190 amp. First, I believe this amp is from around 1990 because I have the predecessor A-8087 from 1989. First question, did the A-8190 come out right after the A-8087? I think this is correct because I remember the A-8087 being the last well built amp from Onkyo. There is an A-8190 on eBay right now for $295.00 but I can get one locally for $100.00 and an internet search shows a used price of $80.00, so this shows the A-8190 on eBay is stupidly priced, but it can be used to see what the internals look like. A quick look at the internals shows SERIOUS price cuts in quality and components as my A-8087 has HUGE transformers where the A-8190 has tiny and cheap looking transformers. Also, the A-8190 chassis looks like it’s made from much thinner metal and has that 1990s look instead of the better built 1980 models. Too me, a look at the chassis shows a thin, un-dynamic, pale, and unimpressive sound because of the cost cutting and cheap components used - would you agree?

Here are additional questions:

Would anyone here buy an Onkyo A-8190? If so, how much would you pay for one? Also, does anyone here own an Onkyo A-8190? If so, do you also own older Onkyo models and can you compare the sound quality for me? Lastly, would you spend your money on an Onkyo A-8190 or something else? If so, what? Should I just look for an Onkyo A-8087 and forget about the Onkyo A-8190? If so, why? My Onkyo A-8087 still works as new and is in mint condition and I need another amp for another room. I do not see any Onkyo A-8190 amps with wood sides, which my Onkyo A-8087 has wood sides and I like that, so this looks to be another cost cutting option Onkyo chose.

Thanks everybody. I look forward to your responses.
 
Using 8190 for the last one week, it's great with sound. Deep and clear bass,nice treble and doesn't need a mid range. High grade capacitors are used and a very simple designing. Perfect in every functions. I have sansui 8080, sansui 517 Kenwood supreme 500,Pioneer sx 850. In no way onkyo 8190 is less. Must try if you get an chance.
 
Back
Top Bottom