• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo a9010 vs a9050. Same Amp?

rotobadger

Suffering AZ Cardinals Fan
Subscriber
I love love love my a9010 but would like the extra wattage the 9050 offers. Does anyone know if these two amps are identical (sound wise) aside from the extra 31 watts? In other words, I'd love a more powerful a9010. Is the the 9050?

Or, a recommendation for an Onkyo Amp or receiver that is the same sound quality as the 9010. Feel like, at this point, it’s the sweet spot for me.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I guess a couple questions are in order?

Do you think you’ll ever try out an MC cartridge for your turntable? If so, you may want to look at the A-9150.

I can’t seem to find any info on the efficiency of the KLH 5s, but if they’re anything like their contemporary the AR-3a, you’ll probably need more than the 75W of the A-9050 to really open them up. A change to a more efficient speaker would be more appropriate, it would also change the sound you call the sweet spot.

Conversely, if the “line out” of your 9010 is the equivalent of Preamp Out, you may be able to just get the extra power you want with a dedicated power amp and have the Onk act just as a preamp for the sound.
 
I guess a couple questions are in order?

Do you think you’ll ever try out an MC cartridge for your turntable? If so, you may want to look at the A-9150.

I can’t seem to find any info on the efficiency of the KLH 5s, but if they’re anything like their contemporary the AR-3a, you’ll probably need more than the 75W of the A-9050 to really open them up. A change to a more efficient speaker would be more appropriate, it would also change the sound you call the sweet spot.

Conversely, if the “line out” of your 9010 is the equivalent of Preamp Out, you may be able to just get the extra power you want with a dedicated power amp and have the Onk act just as a preamp for the sound.
Thanks for the reply.

As far as an an MC goes, I think the answer is maybe someday. I’m using a Project Tube Box S2 as my preamp so that allows me to go with an MC over an MM.

You’re right about the KLH 5s. I love them but they are not efficient. 86db I believe.

Another option is an Onkyo that is older. I’m really looking to duplicate what the 9010 has given me so far. It’s such a roll of the dice when switching amps.
 
If the line out is what I think (you’ll need to confirm with your manual), then perhaps just adding a power amp will suffice. By just adding a power amp, you’ll keep the tonal qualities of the Onk if that’s what's doing it for you (unless you go with a really colored amp). But try to figure what exactly it is about the Onk that you like... detail/clarity, soundstage, realism in vocals (especially female), other instruments...

Then, find a power amp in the 100W and higher range, whether vintage or new, that is known for being fairly neutral in tone. See if you can borrow one to see if it will make the difference you desire. When looking at power amps, look for one with at least as high of a damping factor as your current amp.

Oh, one other thing...to really make a different in volume and or control of the woofer, you definitely need more than an extra 30wpc. I doubt you'd notice any difference with the 9050.

I have AR-3a's I restored and was originally powering with a Pioneer SX-780 (45wpc). The speakers sounded fine, but sound better driven by the NAD C270 (120wpc) in the main rig.
 
Last edited:
The line out is just that...line level and NOT equivalent to a Preamp Out jack. So, just adding a power amp will NOT work in this case.
 
Back
Top Bottom