• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo buys Pioneer

Register to hide this ad
The deal essentially means that Onkyo will take over Pioneer's Home AV business, while Pioneer takes a stake in Onkyo.

In short, the world is coming to an end;

Time to dig a hole and bury oneself. :thumbsdn:
 
I don't see it that way at all. Call me an Onkyo fanboy if you wish, I freely accept the honor; I think this can only be a good thing for both. For Onkyo to be healthy enough at this point to take over Pioneer's lines is certainly a plus for Onkyo, and a lifeline for Pioneer.

Many of you may remember when Marantz and Denon joined forces; that is certainly an example of "the best of both worlds".

Happy trails,
Larry B.
 
I think you can look at it two ways. Onkyo is doing great and had ability buy a weaker company with a great brand. What they DO with the brand is of course another matter.

It may be a that Onkyo was doing OK and Pioneer was an identifiable brand they could build and manage while reducing their overhead on higher sales.

I'm hoping Onkyo takes the Pioneer brand and strengthens it and doesn't forget why they bought it. Sadly I have seen a lot of companies in my past 35 years in this business do the latter, buy a company and neglect the brand.

More choices for me when I go shopping for gear is a good thing. I've always like both brands and quality. :music:
 
Pioneer has been making some pretty nice products lately...their N-50 network music player is great sounding and nicely priced versus a lot of competitive products. And they make a lot of even nice hifi products that are only sold in Japan. Sadly, though, stereo equipment just seems to get more and more marginalized in the whole landscape of consumer electronics.
 
This mean Onkyo wont have faulty HDMI boards anymore?

...Or that Pioneer will now have faulty HDMI boards...
 
So is the Pioneer name going to be kept or is it just Onkyo? Or how bout Pionkyo or Onkoneer? I like Onkoneer.
 
How does this fit with the news a couple of months ago of Funai buying the Pioneer A/V wing? Did that fall through?
 
The article states at the begining that "The parent companies of..."
As far as I know the parent company of ONKYO is Gibson anyway.
 
Last edited:
The article states at the begining that "The parent companies of..."
As far as I know the parent company of ONKYO is Gibson anyway.

Gibson is not the parent company of Onkyo. Gibson recently bought a majority interest in Onkyo USA (which is strictly the US marketing arm of Onkyo Japan). They also own stock in Onkyo Corporation (Japan), which is a publicly traded corporation like most.

Happy trails,
Larry B.
 
I think Pioneer will soon go the way of Conkyo (their new name due to so many recent AV receiver failures). Sad as Pioneer made good receivers as a whole. And had the best support of the popular brands on parts and service.
 
The press release did say the Pioneer brand was being kept. For whatever that ends up being worth. Only time will tell.
 
I like both brands and own both. I wonder though if they will do some repositioning since there are major redundancies in the receiver lines. Like onkyo will be entry, pioneer mid, and elite will go high end?
 
Back
Top Bottom