• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo M5000 power amp and P3200 pre-amp

DaveFromCanada

New Member
Anyone have any information or impressions on the Onkyo M5000 power amp and P3200 pre-amp? A friend in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, picked up both pieces for me for only $100. I have no idea how old this stuff is or if it is any good, but from the limited amount I have read on the M5000 it was a good sounding amp. I guess I will find out when my friend delivers them to me in four weeks. While in recent years Onkyo has made a big deal about high-current capability on its receivers, the old M5000 doesn’t seem to have this capability. It won’t drive loads of less than 8 ohms.

I'd like to know when this amp and preamp were manufactured and whether they are superior to Onkyo receivers from the same era. What appealed to me about the preamp was the variable loudness control. The amp seems a bit light at 17 pounds, but oh, well, for $100 total, it's pretty hard to go wrong. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't have direct experience with those models but I've had good luck with all the 2 channel Onkyo gear that I've owned. Let your ears be the judge. Report back once you've had time to get acquainted with your new gear.
Congrats.
 
It's a nine year old thread. The OP hasn't been back since. We'll probably never have his viewpoint.
 
I have this set up with simple 150$ Sony bookshelf speakers. it has some oomph and power to it but suffers from being relatively clinical, overly clean sounding (also a result of the speakers). After all the receiver was designed with CDs and video in mind, not just vinyl and radio. Some day I’d like a warmer fuller kind of receiver where the bass has more body and weight. But For 50-100$ or free as in my case, it is very satisfactory. (My guess is this unit was made somewhere from the late 90s to early 2000s)
 
Back
Top Bottom