• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo TX-4000 VU meter odd issue

Astroboiee

New Member
I have an odd issue.
I had my TX-3000 in storage for years.
Brought it out the other day and cleaned it all out, washed pots and switches.
I reassembled and turned it on.
The left vu meter wasnt working and the right was sweeping all the way to the right.
I took the cover off and pulled the lights out of the way to to check.
The wires are good no cracking
I had it on and tuned to local rock station.
The right side was working slightly
I tapped the meters, nothing.
I grabbed on to the right side of the chassis and they started working.
I let go they stopped. I grabbed it again and they work. What is up?
Some sort of ground issue or reflow the solder on the posts?
 
Register to hide this ad
Is tuned and locked lights on. The right meter is signal strength, until the tuning knob is released and tuned light comes on. Is the audio OK?
 
Sounds like broken solder connection on the board. Astroboiee, Welcome to AK. Found the service manual on HiFiEngine.com.If you haven't been there just register and download for free. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/onkyo/tx-3000.shtml Look for bad solder connections on the bottom of the board. Could post pics of the bottom of the board.
Thanks for the reply,
Looks good to me, heres a pic of the bottom of the board.
 

Attachments

  • 20191009_175531.jpg
    20191009_175531.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 3
Checked out the pic of the board. Found some spots that I think need to be looked at. Checked under magnification. Points that don't look smooth flow of the solder I have circled. Broken solder points can show a circle around the lead. onyko receiver1.jpg
 
Need a picture with greater detail to check the soldering quality. But I am guessing with the pic you posted. And anyway check the grounds. See if you find anything.
 
Back
Top Bottom