• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Opera

The Magic Flute or Die Zauberflöte is a nice lighter opera composed by Mozart, to a libretto by Emanuel Schikaneder. It's a great opera to see for first time attendees.
 
I'll put in a plug for Porgy and Bess. Terrific music--and no language barrier. Still the greatest American opera.
 
Porgy & Bess

I'll put in a plug for Porgy and Bess. Terrific music--and no language barrier. Still the greatest American opera.

I agree. Opera Carolina performed it 3 seasons ago. A bonus for me is that I grew up in Charleston, the setting for it!

I could highly recommend it as well! :thmbsp:
 
Every Sunday morning the local community radio station (uncompressed) plays a different opera. I happened to be up early enough to catch Monteverdi's Coronation of Poppea recently, which while very different than the other (relatively few) operas I've heard, totally mesmerized me. I am a neophyte with this genre and didn't realize the variety available. I'm really looking forward to discovering more and am saving this thread for future reference.
 
Turandot

A couple of seasons ago, Opera Carolina surveyed it's members to determine what operas did the patrons want to see performed.

#1 on my list was Turandot. Evidently quite a few others expressed the same desire, as it is scheduled for the last show this season.

Bought my box seat tickets yesterday! If you really want to add to the opera experience, view it from a box seat! Close to and slightly above the stage and you're not stuck in a narrow seat. Box seats have chairs and there is plently of room to move around.

Really looking forward to this show! :yes:

Attended the production of Turandot last night and it did not disappoint! The costumes were excellent, the orchestra very good and the performances were "on the mark".

All the performers were wonderful, with special mention to the role of Liu and Ping. The artist in the role of Liu brought passion and depth to the role, and the artist in the role of Ping was very dynamic!

Of course, Turandot contains one of the best known arias in opera, Nessun Dorma. It is interesting to hear hints of this aria start to appear in the third act before the aria itself is sung.

This opera is performed in three acts, with an intermission between each. We had box seats at the mezzanine level, which were very enjoyable. The staging of this show was somewhat innovative. Rather than have a palace that looked like a palace, they used platforms of different levels. When the emperor appears, he is on such a tall plaftorm, he is about at eye level with our box!

I can highly recommend this opera, as with all of Puccini's operas that I have seen. Turandot was Puccini's last, and he died in 1924 before completing it. One of his protegees completed it after his death.
 
I have long had a fixation with Maria Callas. I'm not an Opera fan but I sometimes enjoy cranking some Callas arias. I have recently been making an effort to understand the genre better. I watched a full Medea with Sondra Radvanovsky from Naples 12/25 that I enjoyed. So much so I have been discussing with my wife, once I get some health issues in order, going to see an Opera.

Back to Callas, I found this short clip on YT. In the comments we read;

"There is more music, more drama, more truth, more Medea in these few seconds than in the entire production of Medea I saw at the Met a couple of years ago."

The passion fueling this comment is exactly what I felt in my gut when I discovered this clip. Can't imagine how mind blowing it must have been to be there. Maybe someday more of this will surface.

 
I have long had a fixation with Maria Callas. I'm not an Opera fan but I sometimes enjoy cranking some Callas arias. I have recently been making an effort to understand the genre better. I watched a full Medea with Sondra Radvanovsky from Naples 12/25 that I enjoyed. So much so I have been discussing with my wife, once I get some health issues in order, going to see an Opera.

Back to Callas, I found this short clip on YT. In the comments we read;

"There is more music, more drama, more truth, more Medea in these few seconds than in the entire production of Medea I saw at the Met a couple of years ago."

The passion fueling this comment is exactly what I felt in my gut when I discovered this clip. Can't imagine how mind blowing it must have been to be there. Maybe someday more of this will surface.


I love Maria Callas! She helped me get into Opera.
Bizet: Carmen Highlights is classic and favorite!

 
$3.98 at SA. The textured, matte covers are so nice, to bad about the tape;

Callas-x-6.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom