• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Opinion on JICO Stylus

ArDrakho

Well-Known Member
I have a Pickering TL-4S cartridge running with a Pickering DTL-3S stylus. It sounds good but it's beginning to show it age. I would love to find another stereohedron stylus, but they are harder to find these days.

However, I have read from others here that they like JICO styli better than the EVG or LP Gear styli. Hence, I am looking at JICO's equivalent of the Stanton D6800EEE-S stylus (https://www.jico-stylus.com/product...cts_id=1361&osCsid=b1tqv9gomvgfvj0ijrbpq4kac3).

Stylus: D6800EEE-S [e007916]

$167.00
Cartridge No. : 681EEE-S
Manufacturer : STANTON
Tip : Shibata Stylus (Quadraphonic)

Do think this is a good stylus to get since Pickering NOS styli are unavailable or do you have better options for me to consider (esp. more affordable)?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Pickering TL-4S cartridge running with a Pickering DTL-3S stylus. It sounds good but it's beginning to show it age. I would love to find another stereohedron stylus, but they are harder to find these days.

However, I have read from others here that they like JICO styli better than the EVG or LP Gear styli. Hence, I am looking at JICO's equivalent of the Stanton D6800EEE-S stylus (https://www.jico-stylus.com/product...cts_id=1361&osCsid=b1tqv9gomvgfvj0ijrbpq4kac3).

Stylus: D6800EEE-S [e007916]

$167.00
Cartridge No. : 681EEE-S
Manufacturer : STANTON
Tip : Shibata Stylus (Quadraphonic)

Do think this is a good stylus to get since Pickering NOS styli are unavailable or do you have better options for me to consider (esp. more affordable)?

My JICO - Shure styli are excellent. I now have about a dozen of them.

@needlestein likes the JICO - Pickering styli.
 
The Shibata is a very nice stylus, as is the pfanstiehl 4822dee. It has to be tracked slightly heavier until break in, but after can be set at the correct vtf. And runs about 35.00. Needledaddy on ebay has rhem. And they are super quiet as well. 0.2x0.7 diamond on them as well.

I had the Shibata on my 681 and was extremely happy with it.
 
The Shibata is a very nice stylus, as is the pfanstiehl 4822dee. It has to be tracked slightly heavier until break in, but after can be set at the correct vtf. And runs about 35.00. Needledaddy on ebay has rhem. And they are super quiet as well. 0.2x0.7 diamond on them as well.

I had the Shibata on my 681 and was extremely happy with it.

Good to hear a positive comment about the Pfanstiehl. Especially since EVG is selling the same Swiss product now. Ebay is a good source for bargain priced styli. There is so much competition that most styli are sold for just enough to make a slight profit(sometimes) and cover the Ebay and PayPal charges.
 
I have a Jico D2000Q Shibata (direct from Jico) on a Stanton 680 MKII body. It is a very nice stylus and this cart is the combo I listen to most lately. One thing I would mention is that the compliance is stiffer than OEM Pickering or Stanton styli.
 
Last edited:
I have a Jico D2000Q Shibata (direct from Jico) on a Stanton 680 MKII body. It is a very nice stylus and this cart is the combo I listen to most lately. One thing I would mention is that the compliance is stiffer than OEM Pickering or Stanton styli.

Is this documented anywhere? Any idea what the compliance is or just observation?
 
Is this documented anywhere? Any idea what the compliance is or just observation?

My arm is fairly heavy with stock HS - 21g EM. I measured resonance with a test record and got around 9-9.5hz. So not high compliance, at least the one I have isn't. Many others have reported this anecdotally. I also track at 2g, or even 2.1g with no brush.
 
Back
Top Bottom