• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Opinions/Info on Stanton 681EEE

I owned one for 10 years or so. Ortofon cartridges sounded better but they couldn't track as well as the Stanton. That said an 881S with a much more sophisticated stylus assembly outperformed both V-15's except the V MR and Ortofons over all. I loved my 981 HZL even more and when I trashed my last OEM stylus and couldn't find another one in 08 Changed to Dynavector 20 series and am very happy. I have a 20 X and a 20 X 2 both high outputs and they are fabulous. 681's whether E, ee, eee were colored and the 881S corrected that for sure. It may have been my pre amp influencing the 681 but it sure loved the 881S.
 
Sorry if this has been covered. Found a Stanton 681 EEE cart at goodwill today. It was on a broken down Technics deck. It appears to be in excellent condition. I will test it soon.

20221215_130116.jpg 20221215_130056.jpg The stylus is appears to be oem...with Stanton badging. It has a brush.

So what does the 'S' designate? Is this a Shibata tip...elliptical...nude eliptical etc?
 
^ "S" is for "Stereohedron". The designation 'S' for the 681eee means "Stereohedron II".

Ahh...thanks tnsilver. So I have a garden variety 681 eee? What would be its equivalent in other brands...Ortofon...Shure...AT etc.

Do I understand its actually moving iron...rather than mm or mc? I have a Grado moving iron cart that I like quite a bit.

I dont think I've owned a 681eee since the 70's. Super popular back then.
 
What would be its equivalent in other brands...Ortofon...Shure...AT etc.
None. It's Stan/Pick proprietary. It resembles a double edged Shibata. Originally designed for quad. The 68X series is indeed MI.
I think that’s the first Stereohedron model. The Stereohedron II would be on the EEE-IIS.
It's possible, but I've found the reference in a Stanton catalog so perhaps the EEE-IIS is a later designation.

EDIT
: I had a better look (last page of that catalog) and EEE-S is simply 'stereohedron' - to be replaced with stereohedron II. "EEE MkII S" is indeed stereohedron II. I doubt the entire designation fits on a stylus grip, so they may have printed "EEE-IIS", and you are correct.
 
Last edited:
Got her going earlier. It has a very nice sound with tons of midrange detail. It's not a very loud cart though.

I have it on on a vintage Technics tt with my Mcintosh 4100 receiver in a spare bedroom.
 
Sorry if this has been covered. Found a Stanton 681 EEE cart at goodwill today. It was on a broken down Technics deck. It appears to be in excellent condition. I will test it soon.

View attachment 2740964 View attachment 2740965 The stylus is appears to be oem...with Stanton badging. It has a brush.

So what does the 'S' designate? Is this a Shibata tip...elliptical...nude eliptical etc?
That's a hell of good GW find! Looks like a Mk I Stereohedron stylus AFAIK.

If you're looking to use it long term, I would consider sending it off to a retipper for an inspection of the diamond, since the total wear/hours on it are unknown.

Double score if the diamond has low wear on it, but even if it's shot, it can be retipped if the suspension is still good (which it likely is if it sounded good and tracked well on your play test of it).
 
Hello fellas! I am hoping i can get an answer to a simple question. FTR, I have looked and read a good bit trying to find the answer. However i am confused & really want to spin vinyl. I have not played a vinyl record since the late 80’s. I have a Stanton 681EEE on a Kenwood KD-2055 TT. My question is this:
i just hooked her up to my Yamaha M80/CX800 combo (JBL4311’s & ADS L1230’s) and I do not know which cart setting to use on the pre amp. Pics included, I really appreciate any direct help.
Thanks, Jeffro
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1980.jpeg
    IMG_1980.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1976.jpeg
    IMG_1976.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1975.jpeg
    IMG_1975.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1984.jpeg
    IMG_1984.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 23
Or, should I (could I?) use this Ortofon?
back in the day, you went to Sam Goody, got home & peeled off the plastic off the vinyl record, threw it on your Panasonic, all in one stereo with the thrusters attached, and put the needle on it, and cranked the volume up.
Loaded a bong hit, etc.
That was three different lives and 27 different SS $ Tube rigs ago. Lol. Yes, I’m out of touch.
 
47K/220 pF setting. You have to take into account the capacitance of the turntable cables, which add to the total capacitance loading on the cartridge. 150 pF is common for each cable, equaling 150 pF + 220 pF = 370 pF total.
 
First off, the brush is cool. But not necessary. However, make sure you track at the correct VTF to match whether or not you employ the brush. I, muself, do use it. I find the tracking a little better just because I can track a lot heavier without the stylus or shank seeing the weight! This is a neat trick that many Shures used, as well. Look, one big advantage of the Denon DL-103 is that it can track happily at 2.5 to 3 grams. This allows it to stay firmly in the groove despite crap and warps and other mess. I mean, I have records that will only track at about 3 grams. Yeah, I can hear all the griping, but keep it to yourself unless you have personal experience to back it up. No theoretical nonsense!

Alright, so the brush allows me to get the advantages of tracking at 1.25 g and also 2.5 g. Which is a real neat trick.

Second, this cartridge sounds really good. Not just accurate but warm, pleasant, and vinyl-y. Just like a good tube amp should sound tube-y, a good cartridge should make a plastic record sound like a plastic record. Which can be really, really pleasurable! Let's not have any talk about accuracy or the stepless nature of analogue recordings! If you want accuracy, get some hidef stream. Or even a well mastered CD. They will be more accurate. But they can never match the sheer sensuous pleasure of a fine turntable, a fine cartridge, a class a or well-designed push pull valve amplifier.

If you want to cream in your audiophile shorts, get one of these damn Stanton 681EEE or a Shure V15 II improved or a Denon DL-103 and a fine tube preamp and amp like my old Dynnas or newer whizbang Amazon cheapies and a good Thorens, 1200 Mark II, Dual idler, Garrard 103, or original Swiss Lenco with the crazy old bearings or anything with as much character. And you will have a real experience of beauty!!!

I got mine free with a Sansui SR-7090. One hell of a deal. But that's another story! Enjoy. Otherwise, there's no point. None at all. So enjoy! Y'all hear?
 
First off, the brush is cool. But not necessary. However, make sure you track at the correct VTF to match whether or not you employ the brush. I, muself, do use it. I find the tracking a little better just because I can track a lot heavier without the stylus or shank seeing the weight! This is a neat trick that many Shures used, as well. Look, one big advantage of the Denon DL-103 is that it can track happily at 2.5 to 3 grams. This allows it to stay firmly in the groove despite crap and warps and other mess. I mean, I have records that will only track at about 3 grams. Yeah, I can hear all the griping, but keep it to yourself unless you have personal experience to back it up. No theoretical nonsense!

Alright, so the brush allows me to get the advantages of tracking at 1.25 g and also 2.5 g. Which is a real neat trick.

Second, this cartridge sounds really good. Not just accurate but warm, pleasant, and vinyl-y. Just like a good tube amp should sound tube-y, a good cartridge should make a plastic record sound like a plastic record. Which can be really, really pleasurable! Let's not have any talk about accuracy or the stepless nature of analogue recordings! If you want accuracy, get some hidef stream. Or even a well mastered CD. They will be more accurate. But they can never match the sheer sensuous pleasure of a fine turntable, a fine cartridge, a class a or well-designed push pull valve amplifier.

If you want to cream in your audiophile shorts, get one of these damn Stanton 681EEE or a Shure V15 II improved or a Denon DL-103 and a fine tube preamp and amp like my old Dynnas or newer whizbang Amazon cheapies and a good Thorens, 1200 Mark II, Dual idler, Garrard 103, or original Swiss Lenco with the crazy old bearings or anything with as much character. And you will have a real experience of beauty!!!

I got mine free with a Sansui SR-7090. One hell of a deal. But that's another story! Enjoy. Otherwise, there's no point. None at all. So enjoy! Y'all hear?
I would need to count again but I probably have 20 or more Stanton 681 cartridges, mostly with the EEE stylus. I thought they might get harder to find so I bought as many as I could find because they have been my preferred cartridge since the 70's. I have many different brands that cost more but don't sound better. Maybe sound as good but need to have a pre-amp for the pre-amp because of the moving coil. The Stanton has a moving iron that has the advantage of the MC's without the disadvantages. I have a Sansui SR-929 as well as 13 other older high end turntables. I really need to find people who are looking for some of the stuff I have collected over the years so my wife doesn't end up donating everything to the local Goodwill when I die. I'll turn 70 next month and I hate selling things. It's much more fun to buy things. My listening room/theater/shop is getting pretty full. Jim
 
I’m listening to one right now, it’s one of the certs, it’ll be a sad day when it’s worn out :(

View attachment 2741004
A Stereohedron is just Stantons version of a Shibata so a retip when the time comes is easy.
My 2c is Stereohedron and Shibata are very short lived so retip with a Micro ridge, my opinion is is not only sounds better but lasts a LOT longer.
The light tracking does help the Stereohedron a bit re life.
What is the effective mass of your arm? It looks way way too heavy for a Stanton.
Chris
 
First off, the brush is cool. But not necessary. However, make sure you track at the correct VTF to match whether or not you employ the brush. I, muself, do use it. I find the tracking a little better just because I can track a lot heavier without the stylus or shank seeing the weight! This is a neat trick that many Shures used, as well. Look, one big advantage of the Denon DL-103 is that it can track happily at 2.5 to 3 grams. This allows it to stay firmly in the groove despite crap and warps and other mess. I mean, I have records that will only track at about 3 grams. Yeah, I can hear all the griping, but keep it to yourself unless you have personal experience to back it up. No theoretical nonsense!

Alright, so the brush allows me to get the advantages of tracking at 1.25 g and also 2.5 g. Which is a real neat trick.

Second, this cartridge sounds really good. Not just accurate but warm, pleasant, and vinyl-y. Just like a good tube amp should sound tube-y, a good cartridge should make a plastic record sound like a plastic record. Which can be really, really pleasurable! Let's not have any talk about accuracy or the stepless nature of analogue recordings! If you want accuracy, get some hidef stream. Or even a well mastered CD. They will be more accurate. But they can never match the sheer sensuous pleasure of a fine turntable, a fine cartridge, a class a or well-designed push pull valve amplifier.

If you want to cream in your audiophile shorts, get one of these damn Stanton 681EEE or a Shure V15 II improved or a Denon DL-103 and a fine tube preamp and amp like my old Dynnas or newer whizbang Amazon cheapies and a good Thorens, 1200 Mark II, Dual idler, Garrard 103, or original Swiss Lenco with the crazy old bearings or anything with as much character. And you will have a real experience of beauty!!!

I got mine free with a Sansui SR-7090. One hell of a deal. But that's another story! Enjoy. Otherwise, there's no point. None at all. So enjoy! Y'all hear?
I dig your passion! And your gear.
 
Hello all! I'm curious about this cart and where it fits in. Any good? I know it was made in the 70's and found on many different TTs, Thorens, Technics. The one I came accross is the "calibrated standard" and then learned there are mkII s. Of course all the usual questions come up -- are the styluses interchangable or do they even make a replacement stylus for these? I think I read somewhere that its an "iron" cart and not sure what that means. Can anyone shed some light on these.......I will do a search in the meantime, thanks!
Nice cartridge overall and very listenable, non fatiguing. IMO the Shure M95ED with OE stylus is better and the Shure V15 III with the OE beryllium stylus and Astatic MF-100 or MF-200 are considerably better.
 
Back
Top Bottom