• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

opinions of onkyo

Lessons Learned: never throw away boxes in the garbage outside your house. Put the empty boxes in the car and take them somewhere else to throw them away.

And...get a security system and guns. We did both.

Yeah, I saw a house with a box for a Panasonic 54" VT25 Plasma outside...

My first thought was "jesus that's asking for trouble..."
 
There are NO Marantz TUBE RECEIVERS existing except for scope tubes on some higher end models. All of them are solid state. The only tube Marantz gear is separates which were designed before Marantz Company was sold to SuperScope in 1964.
 
I just picked up an Onkyo TX-6000 yesterday. I have owned several Marantzes, several Sherwoods, a Nikko, Pioneer, couple Realistics and Sansui and I am IMPRESSED with the Onkyo. Nice detailed sound, very clean, just warm enough. Like a 70s Pioneer but with somewhat sweeter high end.
 
Another positive impression on the TX-8255 - just too bad it's discontinued in the meantime, and Onkyo's newer stereo receiver generation, while possibly not really worse, at least is less classic (e.g. with sequential input selection instead of separate buttons on the front).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
My Onkyo TX-SR702, purchased used several years ago for $150 and without HDMI, has performed flawlessly from day one. I really like the curved front plate. I do so hope they clean up their act wrt the HDMI issue because I'd like my next receiver to be an Onkyo and work as well as this one has.
 
That TX8211 of yours is a handsome receiver.

My only experience with Onkyo is my 2001 575x 70 wpc AVR. I am always surprised at how good this AVR does with stereo music. I swear it has the power and control than my separate 100 wpc power amp has. I used to switch my main speakers between a NAD preamp/Tuner and Audio Design power amp for music, and the Onkyo AVR for HT, But soon realized the SQ of this AVR is so good, it's not worth the effort.

Now to be fair the NAD has a much better FM Tuner, so I used the tape out jacks to feed the Onkyo. Now even FM really sounds good. Way better that it ought too. It does a great job with HT as well.
 
Last edited:
I've got an Onkyo CS-5VL CD player and have been pretty pleased with it. I bought it on close-out for a little over $300 but I'm not sure I would have paid its original MSRP of, what, $600?
 
Love the TX-8211, it was my very first receiver. Bought it in high school in the mid 90s. Just recently gave it away still working just fine...kind of miss it a little.
 
That TX8211 of yours is a handsome receiver.

My only experience with Onkyo is my 2001 575x 70 wpc AVR. I am always surprised at how good this AVR does with stereo music. I swear it has the power and control than my separate 100 wpc power amp has. I used to switch my main speakers between a NAD preamp/Tuner and Audio Design power amp for music, and the Onkyo AVR for HT, But soon realized the SQ of this AVR is so good, it's not worth the effort.

Now to be fair the NAD has a much better FM Tuner, so I used the tape out jacks to feed the Onkyo. Now even FM really sounds good. Way better that it ought too. It does a great job with HT as well.

I've got that same AVR, and I agree, it sounds surprisingly good with music. I really enjoy listening to it. I want to replace it because it's big and kinda dated looking IMO, but I just can't do it because of the sound. Good for HT also.
 
I took the plunge on a new Onkyo A-9555 integrated (Class D) several years ago and have been quite pleased.
 
Apart from an (excellent, especially for the price) C-7030 CD player, I've not had any of Onkyo's newer equipment.

I do have an Integra A-8087 integrated and a TX-860 receiver, both from the 80s or very early 90s that I like a lot. The TX-860 is my garage music maker currently. I also have an Onkyo TA-R22 cassette deck I bought for $2.25. It works great also.
 
Last edited:
At one time I had the M-588F amp, P-388F preamp and the DX-788F cdp together. I thought they sounded great. I sold them all (not to the same person)and moved ahead in this hobby. The Onkyo Integra line are good, fairly inexpensive and reliable.
 
I've had an Integra DTM5.3 A/V receiver since 2005 which elicits no negative criticism from me for anything. I've also had Onkyo Ta-RW244 and TA-RW255 dual well cassette decks since the middle of the 2000s. The only small complaint is that the 244 will leave a slight pop on the tape when the Pause button is pressed while recording a collection of songs. The 255 does not do this. Both decks record well and do a great job of giving back 99-44/100% of what is fed into them (physicists do say, you know, that nothing is 100% efficient).
 
Most Onkyos are pretty good equipment. The only real problem I see is that the newer AVRs are tuned to be "brighter" for more dynamic Home Theater performance. This tends to make them a bit mediocre in the two channel mode.

I would say this even applies to models as far back as my TX-SR 805. Love the HT, not as impressed with it in PURE AUDIO mode. Certainly OK, but nothing to write home about. (And the HDMI problems of course. The 805 was clocked at 136 or so degrees Fahrenheit--it gets REALLY HOT!).

cnh2
 
Back
Top Bottom