• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Opinions on a couple of cheap recievers...

RunOutGroove

Addicted Member
I'm having my old Marantz 2270 worked on right now (probably getting a few caps replaced) and though I managed to find a tech (the step dad of a friend of mine) who can get to it ASAP (he works out of his house and doesn't have other projects to schedule), it's still going to take longer than I would like and in the mean time I have no stereo system. In light of that, I'm considering buying a cheap (but hopefully halfway decent) amp to use as a spare, while my Marantz is getting worked on.

My criteria: I want to buy local as I don't want to wait for shipping because by that time my amp might be ready anyway... so no point to that. I also want to spend a minimal amount of cash for this as I won't be having the thing hooked up on the regular so I won't be getting much use out of it. I might even sell it at some point later...

I see a couple of options in my area, both for the magic price of $50, but which one would be the preferred model? I like the idea of the more vintage one, but if the newer choice is likely to be better from a sonic perspective, I could be convinced. Both are advertised as working, but I'll be testing them (with an iPod and headphones) before I lay down the money, just to make sure. My choices are a Nikko NR-500 (which certainly looks pretty cool!) and a much more modern, Onkyo TX-8255 (which is a kind of AV receiver, I guess but only 2 channel rather than surround sound, which is what I prefer).

Alternatively, you could just convince me that I don't need this thing and that going without a stereo for a little while could be a kind of character building exercise and that I should save my money and not bother with this thing!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I say use the iPod and headphones until the 2270 returns. Once it returns, begin your search for a suitable alternative for the next time it needs work. There'll be no need to rush to a decision.
 
Locally could possibly be a Craigslist find? You might find something of interest. Don't necessarily discount units like Kenwood, Sherwood, Yamaha, as some were fairly decent. Many want the big guns, lots of watts.

I'd personally try staying away from the black plastic stuff, even if it costs a little bit more.

I know at times one needs music to nurture the soul, or for entertainment purposes.

A spare receiver can perhaps be later relegated to a garage system, something easy to drag out onto a deck for parties, a small pair of spare speakers. It's sometimes nice playing tunes while you wax and detail your car, etc.
 
Last edited:
a lot depends on what you have locally. We can name great units but if you can't get hold of it, it's useless. ...and then you have to consider the condition.
 
Might be a fun way to try something a bit different. Craiglist and local Facebook market pages can have a lot of good finds, and you may find something you want to keep for office, bedroom use for not that much money.

As for the ones you found, I didn't have that Onkyo, I had the TX-525 (I think? I think it was from around the same time period as the one you're looking at, but it was a 5.1 receiver. The first one was broken and replaced, but the sound was not that good - I'd describe it as lacking in the mids and didn't do anything for me. I gave it to our maid for free a while ago. I know they have a big range, though, so that one may be good - I'd just listen to it before buying.

Other than that, look for something you'd actually keep and use somewhere. I wouldn't get something just to get something. If nothing comes up that meets that bar of wanting to keep and use it somewhere, then just use headphones a while ;)
 
That Onkyo should be a pretty solid receiver. I have a slightly older but very similar version of that, the tx-8410 in my garage. I've had it for years. I think it sounds great. And mine is not plastic. Not sure about the newer ones.
 
I'm having my old Marantz 2270 worked on right now . . . I'm considering buying a cheap (but hopefully halfway decent) amp to use as a spare, while my Marantz is getting worked on.

My criteria: I want to buy local as I don't want to wait for shipping because by that time my amp might be ready anyway... so no point to that. I also want to spend a minimal amount of cash for this as I won't be having the thing hooked up on the regular so I won't be getting much use out of it. I might even sell it at some point later...
If you expect the Marantz to be completed in literally a few days, then wait. If you don't need a tuner section you might consider a little Class D amp like this as a backup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273453273307?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Even though I have a lot of amps, mostly vintage and DIY tube, I got one earlier this year as a computer desktop amp and I've been very impressed. Plenty of power to drive my "computer speakers", which are a 4 ohm wired stack of Pioneer HPM-100s and JBL 4312 Control Monitors.

New, just over $50, and they ship free from California so, since you're in Oregon, they should arrive quickly.
 
Back
Top Bottom