• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Oppenheimer

My 21 year old daughter and I saw the movie last night and both really enjoyed it. I did not find the score too intrusive for the most part and thought that it contributed to the overall feel of the film. I'm not sure how well the score will transfer to the small screen. The acting was exceptional and, combined with a good story and writing, the three hour run time did not seem overly long. There were a few flaws and embellishments, and it would be nice to know the extent of fictionalization, but overall I thought the movie superb.
 
Today I was talking to my brother about this movie and both of us like it less the more we think about it. For instance all the time taken with Strauss that could've been better spent. Or not spent at all. The unneeded use of nudity which will prevent the movie being shown to schoolkids who would benefit. The lousy sound and blaring score without a single memorable melody. And the pedestrian use of the large format film. Thinking about this movie has made me watch movies that made good use of large format film such as Lawrence of Arabia, The Searchers, Spartacus and How the West was Won.

Not good, when thinking about a movie prompts you to watch better ones.
 
Today I was talking to my brother about this movie and both of us like it less the more we think about it. For instance all the time taken with Strauss that could've been better spent. Or not spent at all. The unneeded use of nudity which will prevent the movie being shown to schoolkids who would benefit. The lousy sound and blaring score without a single memorable melody. And the pedestrian use of the large format film. Thinking about this movie has made me watch movies that made good use of large format film such as Lawrence of Arabia, The Searchers, Spartacus and How the West was Won.

Not good, when thinking about a movie prompts you to watch better ones.


I had the same thought that the relationship could have been conveyed without the nudity. It seemed gratuitous to me. And no need for the large format film -no comparison with Lawrence of Arabia or the others that you mention. There were a few scenes that seemed contrived or unnecessary, but that's true of many a film. All in all, I still thought it a good movie with excellent acting.
 
I haven't seen the movie but watched a good documentary on MSNBC:
"To end all war:Oppenheimer"

I thought it was excellent.
Yep - not paying $6 or $12 a month for Peacock's mostly warmed over NBC programming ... I'll have to miss it.
At least with Paramount there is a huge movie library plus showtime ... (plus the wamed over CBS programing_) ;)
 
Oppie as he was called made it possible for Godzilla,Rodan and several of the Japanese monsters to come into existence.Not trying to be funny.

And those big ant movies like 'Them' and the big tarantula, the big Gila Monster, any number of radiation inspired mutants, all of them gifts of the Atomic Age. By the way, the original Godzilla was a good movie in my opinion, very well done. Starred Perry Mason...
 
He pissed off Harry Truman by saying he (Oppenheimer) had blood on his hands as Truman ok'd the bombs be dropped he had Oppie barred from the White House.He was also against the Hydrogen bomb."I am death,destroyer of worlds"
 
And those big ant movies like 'Them' and the big tarantula, the big Gila Monster, any number of radiation inspired mutants, all of them gifts of the Atomic Age. By the way, the original Godzilla was a good movie in my opinion, very well done. Starred Perry Mason...
Perry Mason was added as an afterthought to make it more appealing to the American market.The original minus Mason is much better.
 
Perry Mason was added as an afterthought to make it more appealing to the American market.The original minus Mason is much better.
Really! I didn't know there was an original beyond Perry Mason. It was a very well made movie in my opinion, after that it became a bit ridiculous, Rodan and all that monster love.
 
I watched it a couple weekends ago, I thought it was good, not great, but good. I could be wrong, but I felt like they rushed through some of the character building....
I was also distracted by the actor that played Oppenheimer, my brain kept saying "Tommy Shelby" (in a British accent) every time he showed up in a scene.... I give the movie a solid B+ maybe an A-. I think it would've been better in a 6 episode Netflix series tbh.....
 
I watched it a couple weekends ago, I thought it was good, not great, but good. I could be wrong, but I felt like they rushed through some of the character building....
I was also distracted by the actor that played Oppenheimer, my brain kept saying "Tommy Shelby" (in a British accent) every time he showed up in a scene.... I give the movie a solid B+ maybe an A-. I think it would've been better in a 6 episode Netflix series tbh.....

I haven't seen it but agree about a six, or more, episode series, time to develop characters and other interesting aspects, the technology, and the physics which was not new at the time.
 
I haven't seen it but agree about a six, or more, episode series, time to develop characters and other interesting aspects, the technology, and the physics which was not new at the time.

I have seen the film and really enjoyed it but had a similar thought. It would have been nice to learn more about the Los Alamos experiment and experience, the scientists, and the physics. But as @Tom Brennan points out, that's not this movie. Or included in the source material that is the basis for the film.

No, this movie is a character study of Oppenheimer.

I'm ordering American Prometheus for my daughter and The Making of the Atomic Bomb for myself (thanks for the recommendations). I also found my copy of a book on the life, times, and philosophy of Niels Bohr that my daughter wants to read. Hopefully the movie will spur an overall interest in events of the times portrayed in the film, physics, and science.
 
I watched it a couple weekends ago, I thought it was good, not great, but good. I could be wrong, but I felt like they rushed through some of the character building....
I was also distracted by the actor that played Oppenheimer, my brain kept saying "Tommy Shelby" (in a British accent) every time he showed up in a scene.... I give the movie a solid B+ maybe an A-. I think it would've been better in a 6 episode Netflix series tbh.....
Cillian Murphy - re: Arkham Asylum ... and Breakfast on Pluto ages ago!
 
Last edited:

Had not WW2 started :idea:​

On Continued Gravitational Contraction​

J. R. Oppenheimer and H. Snyder (1 September 1939) This is the day Germany invaded Poland and triggered WW2.​


 
Last edited:
Saw it last night. Overbaked, too many special effects, disjointed, too loud, poor mix. "How not to do A Beautiful Mind" was my first reaction.
I found the acting to be starchy, the dialog stilted, searching for dramatic impact. Similar to my review of Titanic, "There were two notable things in "Oppenheimer", unfortunately, Florence Pugh had both of them". It's certainly not the landmark film they alluded to. They could have cut the budget in half and had a better movie.
Yeah, it was not worth the money or the time.

The movie tended to jump from 20 second scene to 20 second scene with sometimes little or no connection at all. I got the feeling it was presented thus to appeal to those with short attention spans that plagues our culture. That and the cryptic stilted dialogue with little character development ruined it for me.

Then there was the weird 'artsy' touches that they tried to apply. In one scene, Oppenheimer was seated at the head of a table while he was being questioned in an inquiry. Then all of a sudden, he's got no clothes on. Then there's a woman on his lap engaged in sex with him while his wife suddenly appears behind him, seated on a bench. All while replying to questions regarding a visit to said woman who had been a previous lover. Talk about strange...
 
The rapid cuts and all too often truncated scenes in every media format has severely curtailed my viewing enjoyment. I don’t know how that trend got started but the art of allowing a scene to develop organically without added effects has become a rarity. It’s almost like every film and tv episode has become a long 15 second commercial.
 
The movie tended to jump from 20 second scene to 20 second scene

The rapid cuts and all too often truncated scenes in every media format has severely curtailed my viewing enjoyment. I don’t know how that trend got started but the art of allowing a scene to develop organically without added effects has become a rarity. It’s almost like every film and tv episode has become a long 15 second commercial.
We (old farts) are not the target market. The target market is the masses (Gamers) so they make the movies like games. People that will sit and play games for hours may make it thru a 2 -3 hour movie done like this. It is really a thing in full blown action movies now.

Just like most things in life we are no longer in the market, unless its pharma. Just watch what commercials run with anything on TV and you will know the target.
 
^^ contrast the running time of Oppenheimer (3 hours) with The Irishman (3.5 hours). The former felt so much longer and I was mentally exhausted after watching it; the latter elapsed very smoothly and I never lost focus.
 
Back
Top Bottom