• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Optimum power from the wall

yungin's-dad

Last of the Baby Boomers
Hey all,

I have seen a few thoughts on service voltage from the houses outlet. I thought I would test mine out with the ole' Fluke meter. I read a pretty consistent 120 volts from my outlets. Is this good, bad, or other? I see that a lot people use a variac between their gear and the outlet. IIRC, most are trying to keep the voltage around the 110-115 volts, am I a little high for optimal use with a tube set up?

Just a thought on a boring Sunday, trying not to think about work in the morning.

Thoughts?

Ron
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello,

Just verify that the voltages inside your tube gear is ok as per schematics. If +/- 10% of the values, you could live with it...

Is your gear built in the 117v era?
 
Hello,

Just verify that the voltages inside your tube gear is ok as per schematics. If +/- 10% of the values, you could live with it...

Is your gear built in the 117v era?

gugusse,

Hmmmm, I don't know. I don't even know how to find that out. I have a pair of used amps. They are Quicksilver KT-88 Monoblock's series II, built in '93 I believe. I guess when I talk to Mike Sanders (the owner of QS), as he has one of my amps for a repair, I'll have to ask him.

Thanks for the reply,

Ron
 
I know next to nothing about tubes, but I would expect that any gear built as recently as 1993 should not have issues with 120VAC power.

Please do let us know what the manufacturer tells you.
 
Will do! I'm sure it's fine, but hey I was bored, and wondering about it. I suppose one would have to worry with old gear.

Ron
 
Back
Top Bottom