• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Optonica RP-114H replacement cartridge

Winicjusz

New Member
Hi! I've owned a vertical, linear, both-side play Optonica RP-114H turntable for quite a while now. When I bought it, I was just a beginner, so instead of replacing just the styli, I threw the entire original cartridges (two Audio Technica AT3830s) away and replaced them with Audio Technica AT91 units, which could be easily modified to retain the turntable's unique both-side play, disc-sensor feature. Those cartridges are quite rudimentary, though, and I want to replace them with ones offering higher sound quality, but I just don't know which ones to use without losing the RP-114H's convenience and functionality. Any help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Got a couple of these fun tables. Can’t really answer your question since I am rolling with the original cartridges. Frankly don’t think it’s worth the effort to try an upgrade them. Too many opportunities for something to go sideways trying to replace them and I don’t think this will stand up to any TOTL TT.
 
Last edited:
Hi! I've owned a vertical, linear, both-side play Optonica RP-114H turntable for quite a while now. When I bought it, I was just a beginner, so instead of replacing just the styli, I threw the entire original cartridges (two Audio Technica AT3830s) away and replaced them with Audio Technica AT91 units, which could be easily modified to retain the turntable's unique both-side play, disc-sensor feature. Those cartridges are quite rudimentary, though, and I want to replace them with ones offering higher sound quality, but I just don't know which ones to use without losing the RP-114H's convenience and functionality. Any help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Can't be done. Live with it. Or get a turntable which allows choice and full function. That arm can't handle better anyway than what's on it.
 
If the AT3830 could be sucessfully replaced with the AT91, I'm sure there are other options, too. I would also be happy to go back to AT3830s, but these are impossible to come by.
 
OK, so I managed to buy another example of the turntable, so I will transplant the original cartridges back to mine and replace the styli. Perhaps other parts could also be used if they're in better condition than those on my RP-114H. I'm going to sell the other example afterwards.
 
Back
Top Bottom